AGU Fall Meeting session V024 ’The Dynamics of Volcanic Plumbing Systems'

1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1

From: Chiara Montagna <chiara.montagna@xxxxxxx>

Dear Colleagues,

AGU Fall Meeting will be virtual this year, and it will take place in the
first half of December (https://www.agu.org/Fall-Meeting). The Volcanic and
Igneous Plumbing Systems (VIPS) Commission of IAVCEI is proposing a session
aptly titled â??The Dynamics of Volcanic Plumbing Systemsâ?? (
https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm20/prelim.cgi/Session/104425):

Volcanic Plumbing Systems are complex structures that include e.g. magmatic
mush, melt pockets, and magma transport channels of various geometries,
including dykes and sills. The processes that govern magma accumulation and
transport are equally complex, because they occur on a range of time
and length scales. Recently, research applying various methods to study
plumbing systems has shed light on this complexity. These methods include
tools from igneous petrology and geochemistry, structural geology, geodesy,
and geophysics, such as field studies, compositional and textural analyses,
laboratory experiments, numerical modelling, seismic and surface
deformation monitoring and modelling.
We believe that it is the variety of perspectives from these methods that
will allow us to fundamentally improve our understanding of volcanic
plumbing systems in the future. We therefore invite contributions that
highlight insights from one or more disciplines or methods.

The session is part of the AGU VGP/EGU GMPV session series, and it has been
going on successfully for a couple years now. This time around, the
conveners will be Deepak Garg (INGV Pisa), Penny Wieser (Cambridge), Janine
Kavanagh (Liverpool) and myself, Chiara Montagna (INGV Pisa).

We will have Cheryl Ganescki from UH Hilo, Hawaii, as an invited speaker,
that will talk about what near-real-time petrologic monitoring of eruptions
can tell us about volcanic plumbing systems and their evolution.

We invite you to submit an abstract if your research lies in the sessionâ??s
scopes; abstract submission closes Wednesday, 29 July 2020 23:59 EDT/03:59
+1 GMT. We particularly welcome abstracts from underrepresented groups, to
foster inclusive and vibrant discussions.

Registration rates will be lower than usual, given the online format, and
will be free for undergraduates as well as for scientists from low or lower
middle income countries (
https://www.agu.org/Fall-Meeting/2020/Register-Housing/Registration-Rates).

Hope to â??seeâ?? many of you at the Meeting!

Best,
Chiara, Deepak, Janine and Penny

1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1