COMET Webinar - Richard Walker - 30 July 2020 - 16:00 UK time

6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6

From: Daniel Juncu <D.Juncu@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Dear Colleagues,

The Centre for Observation and Modelling of Earthquakes, Volcanoes, and
Tectonics (COMET) invites you to the next instalment of our webinar series,
viewable from the home office.

Coming up next:

*Prof. Richard Walker *(University of Oxford)
*Earthquakes of the Silk Road â?? reinterpreting the historic and prehistoric
ruptures of central Asia.*

The webinar will take place on *Thursday the 30th of July 2020 at 16:00 UK
time* (GMT+1).

*If you want to attend the webinar please register
at https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_vXkdJVKATEei3qYdas84jQ
<https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_vXkdJVKATEei3qYdas84jQ>*
(After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing
information on how to join the webinar)

*Abstract*

*In contrast to plate boundaries, where earthquake hazard is usually
confined to narrow zones around the edges of the oceans, active faulting
within continental interiors is spread across very wide regions, and with
intervals of hundreds, or even thousands of years between large earthquakes
in any one area. The long recurrence intervals in continental interiors
poses challenges for the identification of active faults, and means that we
have only a very small database of well-studied examples for understanding
the occurrence, style, and potential magnitudes in such settings. I will
report on our effects to improve and enlarge the database of well-studied
large magnitude continental interior earthquakes through a comprehensive
mapping and forensic study of their ruptures, ancient and modern, across
the interior of Asia. Our study encompasses a region spanning from Iran in
the west, through the ex-soviet Central Asian republics, to China in the
East. Our studies combine satellite image interpretation and field
investigation to enable identification, mapping, and characterisation of
active faults with unprecedented detail across sufficiently large regions.
Earthquakes of the early to mid-20th century form an important bridge
between the modern and historical eras as they allow direct comparison of
early instrumental seismic data, historical documentary data, and the
source parameters gleaned from study of the preserved surface ruptures.
Many of our large late-historical examples are from the Tien Shan region of
central Asia, as represented by the cluster of earthquakes in 1887, 1889,
and 1911 in the vicinity of Almaty, Kazakhstan. These examples allow us to
address the relationship between rupture length and amount of slip, and the
potential for large earthquakes to occur due to complex rupture across
multiple short faults. Many of the prominent faults of central Asia have no
documented historical record of earthquakes near them, and yet display
evidence in the landscape for rupture in the recent past. Forensic study of
these faults is essential for determining the hazard posed to population
centres across the region, and is important for establishing the level of
completeness of the historical record. In Iran, for instance, the
documented record of earthquakes extends for over a thousand years, and yet
there are large regions without recorded events. Likewise, the
Talas-Fergana and Dzhungarian strike-slip faults of the Tien Shan have been
seismically quiet over historical times. Through palaeoseismic
investigation of these major structures we are able to probe the upper
limit of continental earthquake magnitude.*

6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6

Volcano Listserv is a collaborative venture among Arizona State University
(ASU), Portland State University (PSU), the Global Volcanism Program (GVP)
of the Smithsonian Institution's National Museum of Natural History, and
the International Association for Volcanology and Chemistry of the Earth's
Interior (IAVCEI).

ASU - http://www.asu.edu/

PSU - http://pdx.edu/

GVP - http://www.volcano.si.edu/

IAVCEI - https://www.iavceivolcano.org/

signoff volcano

to: listserv@xxxxxxx, or write to: volcano-request@xxxxxxx.

volcano@xxxxxxx.  Please do not send attachments.

End of Volcano Digest - 17 Jul 2020 to 20 Jul 2020 (#2020-72)