Call for new members of the Volcanica Editorial Board

2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

From: editor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Details of this call are also available at
https://www.jvolcanica.org/ojs/index.php/volcanica/call-for-editors.

We are looking for new volunteer editors to join our dedicated editorial
board at the journal Volcanica
<https://www.jvolcanica.org/ojs/index.php/volcanica>.

Volcanica is a journal for high-quality, diamond open access
<https://www.jvolcanica.org/ojs/index.php/volcanica/article/view/16>,
peer-reviewed volcano research, free for authors and readers. Two years in,
we are home to five completed issues
<https://www.jvolcanica.org/ojs/index.php/volcanica/issue/archive> containing
original Research, Report, and Review articles.

Volcanica is managed by a team of volunteer editors
<https://www.jvolcanica.org/ojs/index.php/volcanica/about/editorialTeam>,
who oversee peer-review as well as participating in management discussions,
helping to steer the Volcanica project more broadly. We seek to fill two
types of (unpaid) volunteer roles at Volcanica:

 - Topical editors: editors with expertise in a certain subject or range of
subjects, who will be primarily responsible for handling submitted
manuscripts and managing the peer review process. All of our topical
editors should also be comfortable coordinating peer review for submissions
from volcanological disciplines outside their immediate expertise. Editors
may also be responsible for a particular article type, such as Reports or
Reviews.

 - Technical editors: editors who are responsible for handling manuscripts
post-acceptance. This role primarily involves typesetting, proofreading and
copyediting to ensure quality and consistency within and between articles,
and coordinating final publication.

The application process

Those interested should submit an application package composed of three
parts:
1.    A personal statement (up to 400 words), including the position
applied for and why the applicant is interested in Volcanica.
2.    A 1-page CV.
3.    A statement (up to 400 words) on â??What makes a good editorâ??.
Applications should be sent via email to editor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx and
search@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx. The application deadline is August 10th, 2020.

The volcanological sub-disciplines covered by our incumbent editorial team
are not exhaustive: if you are working in a field of volcanology currently
under-represented by Volcanica, we encourage you to reach out to us.
Previous editorial experience is useful but not mandatory: Volcanica
encourages applications from early career and more seasoned volcanologists
alike. *We encourage applicants from BAME backgrounds, who are globally
under-represented in the geosciences.*

The successful candidates

Editors should be committed to ensuring the quality of published research
and in maintaining the rigour, timeliness, and kindness of the peer review
process. Applicants must hold a PhD in volcanology or a related discipline,
or should be able to demonstrate comparable related research or work
experience. Both topical and technical editing roles can be a serious time
commitment, which should be considered carefully by applicants. Hands-on
time for a single article may be spread out over a period of months, and
editors may be asked to handle multiple articles simultaneously. The
volunteer time commitment of technical editorial roles is highly variable,
depending on the length and complexity of the original manuscript, its
submission format, the inclusion of supplementary material, and the size
and quantity of in-text display elements. Importantly, all editors must be
responsive in their communication with authors, reviewers, and other
editors. Editors are also encouraged to engage in promotion and outreach
related to Volcanica. While we of course encourage it, *editors are not
required to submit or solicit submissions to Volcanica.* Editors will join
our wider Editorial Board: therefore, although much of the work is done
independently, the capacity to interact and communicate effectively within
a team is important, as many journal-level decisions and discussions
involve the editorial board as a whole. Moreover, a key part of the role
involves liaising with potential reviewers and authors, so good
communication skills are beneficial.

Successful applicants will receive on-the-job training and a tutorial on
Volcanicaâ??s editorial interface.

*Topical editors*

Topical editors should have a good working knowledge of the
state-of-the-art of their research area. Editors will be expected to
solicit reviews for submitted manuscripts from experts in the field.
Editors are required to manage the timeline of review, to communicate with
the corresponding author(s) of articles, to make clear decisions about
submission appropriateness for the journal, synthesise the recommendations
of multiple reviewers, offering their own expert opinion or additional
reviews if necessary and appropriate, and make decisions on whether
articles are suitable for eventual publication.

*Technical editors*

Technical editors should be comfortable using document conversion and
typesetting software, such as PanDoc and LaTeX, *or* must be committed to
learning how to use them effectively. Being comfortable using various word
processing and PDF software and having basic programming experience is
desirable, but not mandatory.

2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2