Planetary Volcanism White Paper

1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1

From: Laura Kerber <kerber@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Dear Volcano Enthusiasts,

The Planetary Science community is currently writing a Decadal Survey on
the most important topics to be studied in the decade from 2023-2032. The
survey summarizes the priorities of the community so that decisions can be
made about funding research areas and future NASA missions.

My co-authors and I have written a white paper as input to this survey,
encouraging the survey panelists to recognize volcanism as a critical topic
in the exploration of the planets. I thought that the volcanologists on
this list might find it interesting to read.

Here is a link to the white paper.
<
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1d3OCKR43Y57Cpri2I4flpA66T551virX/view?usp=sharing

If you have any comments on the contents of this white paper, please
contact me at kerber@xxxxxxxxxxxx. It would be interesting to hear the
perspective of terrestrial volcanologists.

Executive Summary: The study of volcanism is critical for understanding
planetary structure and evolution in our Solar System and beyond. Volcanic
processes contribute to planetary heat loss, reveal interior compositions
and physical crustal structure, form and replenish atmospheres, and support
life. Priorities in the next decade include observing heat flow processes
on various planetary bodies, sampling a diversity of lava compositions
(especially from bedrock outcrops and lava sequences), tracing volcanic
volatiles from source to sink, connecting measurable lava morphological
features with lava processes, characterizing the duration and magnitude of
planetary lava emplacement events, improving estimations of instantaneous
lava and gas fluxes for use in climate models, and understanding the
pathways by which volcanism enables and supports life.

1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1