Call for abstracts for EGU session GMPV2.2/AS4/NH2/TS13 Volcanic and Tectonic degassing Conveners: Nicole Bobrowski, Carlo Cardellini, Kyriaki Daskalopoulou, Artur Ionescu and Brendan McCormick

7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7

From: Nicole <n.bobrowski@xxxxxxxxx>

Dear Colleagues and Friends,

Last year we had a great session on Volcanic and Tectonic degassing at EGU
due to a lot of very interesting contributions. Next EGU in May 2020 we
will have again the possibility to meet and discuss the science going on in
our field in the same session. The name of the session this year is "
*GMPV2.2/*AS4/NH2/TS13 *Volcanic and Tectonic degassing*" and it is
convened by Nicole Bobrowski
<https://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU2020/sessionprogramme#>, Carlo
Cardellini
<https://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU2020/sessionprogramme#>,
Kyriaki Daskalopoulou
<https://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU2020/sessionprogramme#>, Artur
Ionescu <https://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU2020/sessionprogramme#> and
Brendan McCormick. It is cross-advertised in another disciplines -
atmospheric science, natural hazards and tectonic and structural geology -
we had a interdisciplinary audience last year. We hope we will get another
successful exchange in 2020. It would be great to see you in Vienna, and
please submit your contribution until

*13:00 CET of 15th of January 2020*.

We are looking forward to your contributions!

Session description:

Areas found in different geodynamic settings, which are characterized by
the presence of seismic, volcanic and geothermal activity contribute to the
terrestrial degassing. Volatiles are of great importance because of their
impact on a wide range of geological processes that take place from Earthâ??s
mantle to the surface. Magma rises from depth and its decreasing pressure
allows volatile species to partition to the gas phase. Bubbles form, grow,
coalesce and gases start to flow through vesiculated magma. In addition,
hydrothermal fluids that transport volatiles from the deep crust or mantle
to the surface circulate in the crust enhancing geodynamic processes.
Eventually, they escape towards the surface using tectonic structures and
are released in the atmosphere, in some cases diffused through the soil,
gas vents or dissolved in groundwater, in other cases forming large plumes
or explosive eruption columns. Those fluids providing important information
on processes in the interior of our planet. Fluids play an important role
in volcanic eruptions and earthquake generation and thus, measuring gases
constitutes a powerful tool for monitoring and understanding Earth. This
session aims to merge different geo-disciplines and bring together
researchers interested in the comprehension of the degassing processes that
take place in various geodynamic regimes. Furthermore, identify the impact
that the emissions can have on terrestrial environment, atmospheric
composition, climate and human health at various temporal and spatial
scales. We invite contributions discussing novel measurement techniques,
field measurements, direct and remote ground- and space-based observations
and modeling studies of degassing that can provide new insights into
volcanic, tectonic and atmospheric processes on local and global scales.

7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7

ASU - http://www.asu.edu/
PSU - http://pdx.edu/
GVP - http://www.volcano.si.edu/
IAVCEI - https://www.iavceivolcano.org/

signoff volcano
to: listserv@xxxxxxx, or write to: volcano-request@xxxxxxx.

volcano@xxxxxxx.  Please do not send attachments.

End of Volcano Digest - 9 Jan 2020 to 10 Jan 2020 (#2020-4)