Continental Rift Evolution: from inception to break-up @EGU2020

5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5

From: Giacomo Corti IGG <giacomo.corti@xxxxxxxxxx>

Dear colleagues,

since the deadline is approaching, please consider submitting an abstract
to our session on active rifts and rifted margins entitled* "Continental
Rift Evolution: from inception to break-up"* at the EGU General Assembly,
Vienna (May 3-7, 2020).

For the session description and abstract submission link see:
https://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU2020/session/34751

Abstract deadline: *15 January 2020*.

Invited speaker: *Nicolas Bellahsen* (Sorbonne Université, Paris)

We look forward to seeing you in Vienna.

 -----------------------------

*Continental Rift Evolution: from inception to break-up*

Continental rifting is a complex process spanning from the inception of
extension to continental rupture or the formation of a failed rift. This
session aims at combining new data, concepts and techniques elucidating the
structure and dynamics of rifts and rifted margins. We invite submissions
highlighting the time-dependent evolution of processes such as: initiation
and growth of faults and ductile shear zones, tectonic and sedimentary
history, magma migration, storage and volcanism, lithospheric necking and
rift strength loss, influence of the pre-rift lithospheric structure, rift
kinematics and plate motion, mantle flow and dynamic topography, as well as
break-up and the transition to sea-floor spreading. We encourage
contributions using multi-disciplinary and innovative methods from field
geology, geochronology, geochemistry, petrology, seismology, geodesy,
marine geophysics, plate reconstruction, or numerical or analogue
modelling. Special emphasis will be given to presentations that provide an
integrated picture by combining results from active rifts, passive margins,
failed rift arms or by bridging the temporal and spatial scales associated
with rifting.

5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5

ASU - http://www.asu.edu/
PSU - http://pdx.edu/