AGU 2019 Session: "Volatiles in Magmatic Processes and Planetary Evolution"

1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1

From: Kayla Iacovino <kayla.iacovino@xxxxxxx>

1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1

Hello all,

We would like to draw your attention to our AGU Session V053 entitled
"Volatiles
in Magmatic Processes and Planetary Evolution". We are hoping to receive a
roughly equal number of abstracts from both terrestrial and planetary
communities.

https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm19/prelim.cgi/Session/80220

We invited studies aimed at understanding magmatic volatiles from the
mantle to the atmosphere on Earth and other planets. We strongly encourage
submissions from early career researchers and underrepresented groups.

*Full session description*:

>From dissolved volatiles to exsolved bubbles, and from deep planetary
interiors to atmospheres, the volatile phase of magmatic systems plays a
key role in planetary differentiation, volcanism, and the development of
habitable worlds. Outstanding questions in the field include: How can we
estimate global-scale volatile budgets of planets? How can volatiles in the
geologic record be used to constrain magmatic activity in Earthâ??s past, as
well as on other planets and moons? What volatiles are most crucial to the
habitability of exoplanets? We invite abstracts that seek to constrain the
role of volatiles in planetary magmatic processes, through approaches
including direct measurements of melt/fluid inclusions, crystals, and
gases; remote sensing; experiments; and modeling.

Justin Filiberto (LPI) will be giving one of two invited talks in the
session.

Deadline to submit abstracts is July 31, 2019.

Conveners: Kara Brugman (Arizona State), Kayla Iacovino (Jacobs/NASA JSC),
Meghan Guild (Arizona State)

ASU - http://www.asu.edu/
PSU - http://pdx.edu/
GVP - http://www.volcano.si.edu/