Alexander R. McBirney, 1925-2019

3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3

From: Paul Wallace <pwallace@xxxxxxxxxxx>

3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3

Sadly, I have just learned that Emeritus Professor Alexander R. McBirney
(Mac) passed away last night, Sunday April 7, at 9:30 p.m., following a
stroke several days earlier. His daughter Christine and her husband Kevin
had been caring for Mac and his wife Carmen, herself a stroke victim last
summer, at the family home in Eugene, OR for the past several years
enabling them to remain in familiar surroundings. By odd coincidence, I had
the opportunity to visit with Mac and Carmen twice in the last month or so
and together Mac and I knocked off a bottle of wine on each occasion! He
reveled in the memories that he shared with me and brightened up very
noticeably.

Macâ??s arrival at the University of Oregon in 1965 marked a turning point in
the Geology departmentâ??s trajectory when he established the Center for
Volcanology, together with Emeritus Professor Dan Weill, the late Gordon
Goles and others, and put the UO on the global map of volcanology and
petrology research powerhouses. Highly visible studies of the lunar samples
returned by the Apollo missions soon ensued and were followed by
experimental petrologic work on silicate phase relations and magma phyical
properties, studies of trace elements in meteorites and terrestrial igneous
rocks, and classic field studies of the Skaergaard layered mafic instrusion
in east Greenland and the volcanoes of the Galapagos Archipelago. Mac was
also the founding editor of the Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal
Research and, very appropriately, was awarded the Bowen Award of the
American Geophysical Union in 1990.

Mac was of another generation and will always represent for me one of the
last of the golden age of exploration. He was a graduate of West Point and
always (jokingly) prided himself on having been in the last class that had
to demonstrate their prowess leading a cavalry charge wielding a sword on
horseback! From there he took his young family to Nicaraugua where he tried
his hand running a coffee plantation that he and his crew literally hacked
out of the jungle. It was in Central America where he happened upon the
famous UC-Berkeley volcanologist Howell Williams who convinced him to leave
the coffee plantation to others and join him in the Bay Area for his
doctoral studies. Upon completing his dissertation, he, Dan Weill and
Gordon Goles all found themselves at Scripps Institution of Oceanography
literally at the dawn of plate tectonic theory. When the University of
Oregon came looking for the first members of the newly conceived Center for
Volcanology, all three of them ans
 wered the call, with Mac serving as the Centerâ??s first director.

Mac would have been 94 had he reached his next birthday in August so, while
his passing is certainly sad, it is not tragic. Indeed, I canâ??t help but
see him in my mindâ??s eye, riding off into the sunset leading one last
cavalry charge!

ASU - http://www.asu.edu/
PSU - http://pdx.edu/
GVP - http://www.volcano.si.edu/