Request for community input on use of social media during times of volcanic unrest

4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4

From: Beth Bartel <bartel@xxxxxxxxxx>

4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4

Dear volcanology community,

-----
*The short version: *We need your input! There is an IAVCEI group
developing community-wide considerations for responsible communication of
volcanic hazards on social media, and we need your perspective. Please fill
out the survey linked below by April 12, 2019.
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/P6PQR57
-----

*The longer version: *Building off a day-long workshop at CoV 10 (W.5 |
Social Media Utility in Volcano and Hazard Communication
<https://www.citiesonvolcanoes10.com/workshops-list/w-5/>), the
Communications Working Group within the IAVCEI Commission on Volcano
Hazards and Risk began work on coordinating ways to responsibly communicate
volcano information on social media during times of crisis, when both
public and professional trust and safety are at stake. We began compiling
considerations based on conversations at and after the workshop. However,
we need the broader perspective of those of you who were not in the room.

*We seek input from everyone communicating about volcanoes on social media*,
or interested in doing so. You do not need to be an expert. However, those
of you with experience in communicating during times of unrest are
especially encouraged to fill out this survey. We also seek diverse
perspectives that include agency and non-agency scientists and
communicators; broad geographic, economic/resource, language, and cultural
representation; and people of various career stages. [NOTE: If you were at
the CoV social media workshop, please still fill out this survey!]

Answers to the linked questionnaire will be used to inform a set of
considerations for communication; the questionnaire will not be used in any
research capacity and specific findings will not be reported. This is
merely a way to gather input.

With questions or further comments, contact Wendy Stovall (wstovall@xxxxxxxx)
or Beth Bartel (bartel@xxxxxxxxxx).

Please share this questionnaire with other members of the volcanology
community.

And finally, *thank you* in advance for taking the time to fill this out by
April 12, 2019.

Beth Bartel, on behalf of the Communications Working Group within the
IAVCEI Commission on Volcano Hazards and Risk

ASU - http://www.asu.edu/
PSU - http://pdx.edu/
GVP - http://www.volcano.si.edu/
IAVCEI - http://www.iavcei.org/