IUGG2019 session "*V03 – Phreatic and hydrothermal eruptions: what we really know about triggers, magnitude, styles and hazards"

6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6

From: cristianmontanaro@xxxxxxxxx

6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6

Dear All,

We would like to draw your attention to the session â??V03 â?? Phreatic and
hydrothermal eruptions: what we really know about triggers, magnitude,
styles and hazardsâ?? proposed in the context of the 27th IUGG General
Assembly, which will be held on July 8-18, 2019 at the Palais des Congrès
in Montréal, Québec, Canada (
http://iugg2019montreal.com/abstract-submission.html).

This session invites a broad range of disciplines (from field geological
observations to geophysical and geochemical monitoring, from physical
modelling to laboratory experiments and numerical simulation) to discuss
our current state of knowledge on steam-driven eruptions (phreatic and
hydrothermal eruptions) and discuss future research directions.

The deadline for the abstract submission is *February 18, 2019*.
Hoping the initiative will meet your favor, we look forward to receiving
your contribution.

Sincerely yours,
Cristian, Bettina, Corentin and Shaul

**V03 â?? Phreatic and hydrothermal eruptions: what we really know about
triggers, magnitude, styles and hazards**

Convener: Cristian Montanaro (New Zealand)

Co-Conveners: Bettina Scheu (Germany), Corentin Caudron (Singapore), Shaul
Hurwitz (USA)

Description

Hydrothermal or phreatic eruptions, alias steam-driven (non-magmatic)
explosive events, are frequent phenomena occurring at active volcanoes,
within geothermal areas and in rather pristine environments, e.g. heralding
magmatic/phreatomagmatic eruptions. Circulating hydrothermal fluids may
promote both pore pressure augmentation and alteration of the host-rock,
with the latter process affecting the rock petrophysical properties (e.g.
porosity, permeability strength). Pressure and temperature perturbations
(e.g. magmatic fluids injection or landslides) may result in the
near-instantaneous vaporization of pressurised hot fluids (especially
water) trapped in pores and cracks within the upper parts of shallow
hydrothermal system. The flashing/expansion of fluids blasts rock apart and
ejects it upward and outward developing gas and mixed gas-liquid jets,
pyroclastic density currents and lateral blasts, often accompanied by
intense ballistic showers. These phenomena, whose violence depends on the
explosivity of the fluids driving them, and on the petrophysical properties
of the host-rocks, pose serious threats in areas increasingly exploited for
tourism and geothermal power, or within populated areas. Due to the complex
and still largely unknown interaction of the magmatic and hydrothermal
systems, steam-driven eruptions are among the most sudden and unpredictable
volcanic phenomena. Incomplete or missing stratigraphic records, limited
understanding of explosive failure processes, absent or unclear precursors
in geophysical and geochemical signals, all result in the lack of reliable
scientific models to forecast locations, triggering, and magnitude of
phreatic and hydrothermal eruptions.

This symposium invites contributions from a broad range of disciplines
(from field geological observations to geophysical and geochemical
monitoring, from physical modelling to laboratory experiments and numerical
simulation) on phreatic and hydrothermal eruptions, including reports and
lessons learned from recent events, to summarize our current state of
knowledge on steam-driven eruptions and discuss future research directions.

ASU - http://www.asu.edu/
PSU - http://pdx.edu/
GVP - http://www.volcano.si.edu/
IAVCEI - http://www.iavcei.org/