EGU2019 : From hydrothermal systems to mud volcanoes

3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3

From: Matteo Lupi <Matteo.Lupi@xxxxxxxx>

3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3

Dear Colleagues,

We would like to encourage submissions for the session GMPV3.4/BG4.6

>From hydrothermal systems to mud volcanoes. Session details below.

We hope to meet you in Vienna in April

Have a nice 2019,

Adriano Mazzini and Matteo Lupi

EGU SESSION DETAILS

https://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU2019/session/32736

GMPV3.4/BG4.6

>From hydrothermal systems to mud volcanoes: structure, evolution and
monitoring of active and fossil piercements (co-organized)

Convener: Matteo Lupi

Co-convener: Adriano Mazzini

Abstract submission

Hydrothermal systems, mud volcanoes, hybrid environments such as
sedimentary hosted hydrothermal systems and piercement structures in
general are among the most spectacular geological phenomena on Earth.
Several studies demonstrated that these structures play a key role in the
evolution of our planet and the cycles of life during several geological
eras. Active piercements are usually characterized by deep-rooted plumbing
systems and complex geochemical reactions where life can adapt to thrive in
extremely harsh environments making them ideal targets for deep biosphere
exploration. The geophysical signals associated to such environments are
often ambiguous and difficult to interpret. The elevated pore pressures
often encountered at depth and the high flow rates make these structures
ideal natural laboratories to capture precursors of seismic events and
dynamically triggered geological processes. Piercement structures have
often been reported to respond to earthquakes and external forcing.

This session welcomes contributions from geophysical, geochemical,
microbial, geological, numerical and laboratory studies to promote a better
understanding of modern and palaeo piercement phenomena. In particular we
call for studies related to 1) investigations controlling pre-existing
geological structures; 2) the geochemical reactions occurring at depth and
at the surface including microbiological studies; 3) the investigation of
such systems with geophysical methods; 4) experimental and numerical
studies; 5) the survey and the monitoring of these settings and
environments to learn the dynamics of the extinct systems from the active
ones; 6) the study of palaeo piercements as well as their effects on palaeo
climate.

ASU - http://www.asu.edu/
PSU - http://pdx.edu/
GVP - http://www.volcano.si.edu/