New IVHHN informational products on protection from ash

2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

From: "HORWELL, CLAIRE J." <claire.horwell@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

Dear colleagues,

Happy new year! The International Volcanic Health Hazard Network (
www.ivhhn.org) re-launched a few months ago, with a new website and a revised
remit <http://www.ivhhn.org/about-ivhhn>. In association with the Health
Interventions in Volcanic Eruptions
<http://community.dur.ac.uk/hive.consortium/> project, IAVCEI, GVM and
VolFilm, we are now proud to introduce a new range of informational
products for public distribution (by agencies) and download during volcanic
crises:

*Videos*

   1. Life with Ash â?? Accounts from the 2010 Merapi Eruption
   <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQQR4_QWaxU&feature=youtu.be>. This
   film shares the experiences of communities living near Merapi volcano,
   Indonesia and how they coped with the volcanic ash which fell during the
   2010 explosive eruption. The film aims to help people learn about eruptions
   and what it is like to experience ashfall. We hope that this will help
   people to be better prepared for future eruptions.
   2. How to protect yourself from breathing volcanic ash
   <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9BU_xSQsm4&feature=youtu.be>. This
   video details how to protect yourself and your family from breathing
   volcanic ash. The information in this video can also be downloaded as a
   pamphlet <http://www.ivhhn.org/uploads/Booklet_English_0.pdf> (see
   below).
   3. How to fit a facemask
   <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WYN99KRHYE&feature=youtu.be>. If a
   facemask does not fit well, it will not protect you from breathing ash
   particles. This PSA-style video shows how to fit a facemask properly. The
   information is also available as a leaflet
   <http://www.ivhhn.org/information/public-information-material/fitting-a-facemask-leaflet>
(see
   below).

*Printable Products*

   1. How to protect yourself from breathing volcanic ash pamphlet
   <http://www.ivhhn.org/uploads/Booklet_English_0.pdf>. This detailed
   pamphlet is designed to be printed and distributed by agencies dealing with
   eruption crises. It is also available in text version at:
   www.ivhhn.org/ash-protection
   <http://community.dur.ac.uk/hive.consortium/outputs/www.ivhhn.org/ash-protection>
   .
   2. Ash protection poster
   <http://www.ivhhn.org/information/public-information-material/ash-protection-poster>.
   Summarises the key actions that you should take to reduce exposure to ash.
   Designed to be posted in schools, libraries, health centres, community
   bulletin boards etc.
   3. Fitting a facemask leaflet
   <http://www.ivhhn.org/information/public-information-material/fitting-a-facemask-leaflet>.
   The How to Fit a Facemask leaflet is designed to be handed out by agencies,
   along with facemasks, so that people have instructions on how to fit the
   facemask properly.

All of the above are currently available in English, Spanish and Bahasa
Indonesia. If you are able to provide a professional translation into your
own language, please contact me! We would also greatly appreciate it if you
could please share these products with your local emergency management and
health agencies. We are happy to add their logos!

The above products add to IVHHNâ??s existing public information on the health
hazards of volcanic emissions, and scientific protocols for ash analysis
during eruptions. *Look out for the following new IVHHN items going live in
2019:*

·       a new, searchable online IVHHN Library (all volcanic health-related
literature)

·       standardised epidemiological protocols to enable rapid medical
studies during eruption crises

·       a new pamphlet on the health hazards of volcanic gases and aerosols.

With best wishes for a productive 2019,

Claire Horwell

& the IVHHN Co-Directors: Tamar Elias, David Damby, Carol Stewart

ASU - http://www.asu.edu/
PSU - http://pdx.edu/
GVP - http://www.volcano.si.edu/
IAVCEI - http://www.iavcei.org/