EGU 2019 - Arctic, Antarctic and other glaciated terranes volcanism - magmatic, tectonic, geomorphic and climatic implications

6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6

From: Gioachino Roberti <gioachino.roberti@xxxxxxxxx>

6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6

Dear Colleagues,

I hope you had a great beginning of 2019!

We would like to draw your attention to  GMPV5.14/CL4.33/CR5.10/NH2.6
 *Arctic,
Antarctic and other glaciated terranes volcanism - magmatic, tectonic,
geomorphic and climatic implications* session at the next *EGU General
Assembly  (7-12 April 2019, Vienna, Austria).*
The deadline for abstract submission is *10th January 2019.*

Session details:
https://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU2019/session/32740

GMPV5.14/CL4.33/CR5.10/NH2.6
Arctic, Antarctic and other glaciated terranes volcanism - magmatic,
tectonic, geomorphic and climatic implications (co-organized)

Convener: Gioachino Roberti
Co-Conveners: Adelina Geyer , Morten Riishuus , John Smellie, Brent Ward

The Polar Regions contain an unusually broad diversity of volcanism (e.g.
subduction-related continental-margin volcanism, oceanic volcanic arcs,
mid-ocean ridges, etc.). Polar volcanic studies are crucial for a holistic
understanding of the paleoenvironmental, paleoclimatic and geological
evolution of our planet, in space and in time. Products of polar volcanism
are outstanding probes of the Earthâ??s inaccessible lithospheric interior,
they accurately record Earthâ??s past climatic changes and the volcanic heat
produced by subglacial and MOR eruptions has the potential to modulate
cryosphere behavior and influence future global change. At the same time,
climate change and the present warming is reducing snow, ice cover, and
permafrost from volcanoes, not only in polar areas, but around the whole
planet. This cryosphere reduction leads to changes in the hydrological
balance and removes mass from volcanoes. Consequences are changes to water
resources, increased slope instability (e.g. landslides), depressurization
of magmatic systems and changes to hydrothermal systems. Regional
deglaciation has affected volcanoes in the past providing complex records
of volcano-ice interactions. However, we are far from understanding these
and more local deglaciation processes and how todayâ??s climate change will
affect volcanoes in general, and polar volcanic activity in particular.

In this session, we invite contributions discussing recent advances in all
aspects of Polar volcanism and studies on present and past climate change
on active and dormant volcanoes. We aim to bring together scientists from
glaciology, volcanology and geomorphology to host a broad-spectrum
discussion at any scale. Of particular interest is volcanism and
environmental development, including the growth and stability of ice sheets
and documenting the Polar hothouse world. Additionally, we invite
contributions involving conceptual, numerical or analogue simulations of
volcanic response to deglaciation aimed to come up with a simplified
coherent model for volcano deglaciation to be used as a basis for dialogue
between the scientific community and administrators from affected areas.

ASU - http://www.asu.edu/
PSU - http://pdx.edu/
GVP - http://www.volcano.si.edu/
IAVCEI - http://www.iavcei.org/

signoff volcano
to: listserv@xxxxxxx, or write to: volcano-request@xxxxxxx.

volcano@xxxxxxx.  Please do not send attachments.

End of Volcano Digest - 4 Jan 2019 to 7 Jan 2019 (#2019-2)