VOLCANO: Call for proposals to the new GMPV-VGP Joint Session Series deadline 31 July

From: Mike Burton <mike.burton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Call for proposals to the new GMPV-VGP Joint Session Series deadline 31 July

Dear Colleagues,

The GMPV Division of EGU and VGP Section of AGU have created a new Joint Session Series, which allows a series of consecutive sessions to address a well-defined timely topic at the EGU General Assembly and AGU Fall Meeting. Here is a brief FAQ to introduce the Series.

Why are we introducing the GMPV-VGP Joint Session Series? We believe there are some topics which can really benefit from the attention of the full breadth of AGU and EGU communities, and wish to encourage a bottom-up process whereby such sessions can be proposed in a coordinated manner.

What are Joint GMPV-VGP Session Series? Coordinated by the VGP section of AGU and GMPV Division of EGU, the GMPV-VGP session series is a sequence of science sessions conducted consecutively at EGU General Assembly and AGU Fall meetings, for 2 or more meetings. Thus in the current call we ask for sessions that will be held in EGU2019, followed by AGU2019, and potentially also EGU2020 and AGU2020.

What is the purpose? The purpose of the joint sessions is therefore to focus the attention of the scientific community on an important, quickly evolving subject, and thereby facilitate scientific progress. The series may allow the full implications of a breakthrough in one sub-discipline to be explored in other sub-disciplines, for example.

How can I propose a joint session? Identify a timely research area that would benefit, and coordinate with colleagues to produce an outline of conveners for each session, then complete the attached application form and send to the GMPV division president gmpv@xxxxxx and VGP section president manga@seismo.berkeley.edu by 31 July.

How are proposals assessed? They will be examined in terms of their science quality, likely impact, multidisciplinarity and organisation by the science teams from both divisions.

Do all the same conveners have to be present at each meeting? No, but some overlap is welcome, and a clear plan for who will be convening which session and why is part of the proposal process.

Why should I do propose something? These will be high visible sessions which will attract a lot of attention from the VGP/GMPV community. You will be able to make quicker progress in a cutting-edge area of science.

When should I send the application form? By the end of the deadline which is 31 July.

How will this work in the programme organisation? Selected Session Series will be highlighted as such in the scientific programmes of the meetings, and given a particular focus in communications from GMPV and VGP.

Best,

Mike Burton and Michael Manga

GMPV President and VGP President