VOLCANO: Please Consider AGU Special Session on the Gulf of Mexico

From: "Beutel, Erin Kelly" <BeutelE@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Please Consider AGU Special Session on the Gulf of Mexico

Please consider submitting to the following session on the Gulf of Mexico---Igneous processes that are linked to the tectonics of the region from the Triassic to present are highly encouraged in this interdisciplinary session.

Session ID: 49958
Session Title: T034. Puzzling Tectonics of the Gulf of Mexico: what do we know, what do we think we know, and what do we need to know?
Section/Focus Group: Tectonophysics

Session Description: The tectonic history of the Gulf of Mexico is still being debated despite more than a century of petroleum exploration and an enormous amount of geophysical and geological data collected by industry. Tectonic models of the basin differ dramatically in key questions, such as the timing of opening, pre-breakup configuration of the crustal blocks and age of the seafloor. The proposed session intends to bring together researchers from different geoscience disciplines – geology, geophysics, geochemistry, tectonics, geodynamics – to discuss ways of improving our understanding of the basin.  We welcome presentations on a broad range of topics – from addressing the continental break-up signature to those constraining sedimentation and hydrocarbon evolution. We also anticipate triggering active discussions on various aspects of Gulf of Mexico tectonics.

Session Conveners: Irina Filina (ifilina2@xxxxxxx), Erin K Beutel (beutele@xxxxxxxx), Patricia Persaud (ppersaud@xxxxxxx) and Robert J Stern (rjstern@xxxxxxxxxxxx)