VOLCANO: Post-doctoral job, numerical simulations of gravity changes at volcanoes

From: Eleonora Rivalta <rivalta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: post-doctoral job, numerical simulations of gravity changes at volcanoes

Dear all,

A job opening (Post-doctoral scientist) is available in my research group at GFZ Potsdam.

The project will focus on forward modelling of gravity changes due to mass transfer and phase transitions at fluid-filled reservoirs, conduits and dikes. Data from Mt. Etna will be available to test the models, in collaboration with an international group of scientists coordinated by Dr. Daniele Carbone, INGV Catania.

Your responsibilities:
        •   model numerically the gravity changes associated with mass transfer in the sub-surface
        •   model numerically different scenarios of bubble growth, crystallisation and segregation of bubbles and crystals in the stored fluids
        •   contribute to our software development
        •   carry out analog experiments in the laboratory
        •   conceive comprehensive models including evidence from geophysics, geology and geochemistry
        •   publish in international journals and present results at scientific meetings
        •   participate actively to activities in our group, Section and Department

Your qualifications:
        •   PhD (or equivalent) in Geophysics, Physics or Geoscience (you also qualify if you do not hold a PhD degree yet but your thesis is already submitted)
        •   excellent mathematical/physical skills
        •   excellent programming skills (e.g. MATLAB, Python, Unix/Linux, Shell Scripting)
        •   you work well in teams
        •   good communication skills, good English language skills

Starting date: July to December 2018 would be optimal
Fixed term: 2 years
Working hours: full-time (currently 39 h/week). The position is, in principle, suitable for part-time employment.
Salary: The pay scale grouping will be based on TVöD-Bund (Tarifgebiet Ost).
Location: Potsdam

You can expect a very diverse and challenging job in an international work environment that is characterized by exciting research projects. The compatibility of work and family life is of particular concern to the GFZ. Therefore, it offers the opportunity for flexible working time and workplaces. Moreover, there is a kindergarten located on the research campus.

The GFZ is a partner with Geo.X (www.geo-x.net), and as such it is well connected with other geoscience institutions in Potsdam und Berlin. Geo.X forms the largest regional cluster of geoscientific expertise in Europe and offers excellent opportunities for cooperation and development.

Please submit your application by 15 June 2018.

Equal opportunity is an inherent part of our personnel policy. Therefore we are particularly welcoming applications from qualified women. Severely disabled persons will be given preferential treatment in the case of equal qualification.

The full job ad is available here:
https://gfz-potsdam.concludis.de/prj/shw/4558dbb6f6f8bb2e16d03b85bde76e2c_0/821/Post-Doc_position_m_f.htm?lang=en_GB

I am happy to answer questions on the scientific plan.

Dr. Eleonora Rivalta