VOLCANO: COV10 LAST CALL for abstract S1.4 “Advanced and non-conventional seismic methods for monitoring active volcanoes"

From: Jean Soubestre <jean.soubestre@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: COV10 LAST CALL for abstract S1.4 “Advanced and non-conventional seismic methods for monitoring active volcanoes"

Dear all,

The deadline for abstract submission at Cities on Volcanoes 10 conference, 18 May 2018 at 8:00pm Italian time, is approaching!

We invite you to submit an abstract to the session S1.4 we are organizing.
https://www.citiesonvolcanoes10.com/abstract-submission/

S1.4  Advanced and non-conventional seismic methods for monitoring active volcanoes"

Most of pre- and co-eruptive processes within volcanic systems are accompanied by seismicity, whose characterization constitutes a key aspect of volcano monitoring and eruption forecasting. The observed seismicity ranges from sharp to emergent onset for single events, and from high amplitude to barely visible changes in the continuous signal.
Traditional approaches are now showing their limitation for detecting events and identifying characteristic patterns. First, they are poorly adapted to the analysis of emergent seismo-volcanic signals, such as long-period earthquakes and volcanic tremors. Second, many traditional approaches are largely based on the visual inspection of seismic records. But with continuously growing monitoring networks and associated data fluxes, this way of analysing data is problematic and it becomes necessary to use data-intensive systematic and automatic methods.
Nowadays, a lot of volcanic-seismic approaches allow to better understand volcanic processes occurring over time and space, and then to mitigate the impact of volcanic activity on our society. In this session, we invite all contributions dedicated to advanced traditional approaches, innovative non-conventional approaches (such as automatic source detection and location, amplitude source location, multiplet analysis, s-wave splitting, noise-based approaches, automatic moment tensor calculation, failure forecast method, machine learning approaches, etc.) and multidisciplinary seismo-coupled approaches (seismo-infrasound, Multi-GAS data, numerical modeling, lab experiments, etc.).

Best regards,
The conveners:

Francesca Bianco - INGV of Napoly, Italy - francesca.bianco@xxxxxxx
Corentin Caudron - Ghent University, Belgium - corentin.caudron@xxxxxxxxx