VOLCANO: COV10 Deadline extension: Phreatomagmatic eruptions: how do you know and why does it matter?

From: Alison Graettinger <agraettinger@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: COV10 Deadline extension: Phreatomagmatic eruptions: how do you know and why does it matter?

There is still time to submit to Cities on Volcanoes 10 in Naples, Italy!

We wish to encourage submissions to the following session on phreatomagmatism. The session welcomes submissions on processes, products, and hazard assessment of these phenomena.

The abstract deadline is now 18 May 2018. Additional information is available on the website: http://www.citiesonvolcanoes10.com

Sincerely,
Alison Graettinger, Nathalie Lefevre, Pierre Simon Ross, Jacopo Taddeucci, Greg Valentine, James White

Session description:

S1.18 Phreatomagmatic eruptions: how do you know and how does it matter?
Phreatomagmatic eruptions (explosive magma-water interactions) can happen at any volcano, large or small, where a water body is present at the surface or subsurface. Yet not all eruptions where external water is present are phreatomagmatic, and some are only partly phreatomagmatic. Phreatomagmatic eruptions range in scale from relatively small volume maar-forming eruptions to rare but catastrophic phreatoplinian events. Also abrupt transitions are often observed from effusive or relatively mild magmatic activity to hazardous phreatomagmatic activity and vice versa. This raises the question of how exactly magma and water interact explosively and what controls the explosivity of these interactions. Other important questions are:

1) when looking at the pyroclastic deposits of older eruptions, “how do we know it was phreatomagmatic?”, i.e. what criteria can we reliably use, at scales ranging from the landscape/whole deposit to the micrometer, to demonstrate a phreatomagmatic style? 2) how do we deal with the hazards due to the augmented fragmentation and peculiar emplacement of pyroclasts in phreatomagmatic eruptions? Understanding the processes and products of these eruptions is critical for hazard and risk assessment for all volcanoes.