VOLCANO: EGU 2018 Session: Geophysical imaging of volcanoes (GMPV5.1/NH2.11/SM 6.03)

From: Volker Rath <vrath@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: EGU 2018 Session: Geophysical imaging of volcanoes (GMPV5.1/NH2.11/SM 6.03)

Dear colleagues,

We want to draw you attention to the session "Geophysical Imaging of Volcanoes" to be held at next year's EGU General Assembly, Vienna, Austria, 8–13 April 2018 (https://egu2018.eu/).

Geophysical imaging of volcanoes  (GMPV5.1/NH2.11/SM 6.03)
Conveners: Luca De Siena, Ivan Koulakov , Volker Rath , Jean-Philippe Metaxian , Marina Rosas-Carbajal , Tim Greenfield

The aims of the session are (1) to discuss methodological and instrumental advances in geophysical imaging of volcanoes and (2) to explore new knowledge provided by these studies on the internal structure and physical processes of volcanic systems. We invite contributors from all geophysical areas, such as seismology, electromagnetics/geoelectrics, gravimetry/magnetics, muon tomography, remote sensing, and other geophysical observations applied to volcanic systems ranging from near-surface hydrothermal activity to magmatic processes at depth. This year's session is focused on the contribution of geophysical imaging to better understand volcanic processes. We particularly welcome studies where complementary imaging techniques, as well as multi-disciplinary datasets, are integrated to investigate subsurface hydrothermal and magmatic processes.

As some of you will notice, this session, which was originally only listed in the Seismology group is now also listed also in other program groups as GMPV5.2/GI3.9/SM 6.04.  We think that the progress of geophysical imaging methods is relevant for all disciplines which aim at a better understanding of volcanoes.  While there is still plenty of time for the submission of abstracts (Deadline: 10 Jan 2018, 13:00 CET), there are only a couple of days in case you want to ask for support (01 Dec 2017).

We hope to see you in Vienna next year!

For the convenors,

Volker Rath