VOLCANO: Full time position opening

From: Roberto Guardo <roby.guardo@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Full time position opening

Full time position opening:

The Laboratory of Visualization and Creative Coding of the Universidad Nacional de Río Negro (Argentina) is searching for a Specialized Technician Creative Coder. This is a full time position for a programmer - visual artist - technician. We are seeking to find an enthusiastic candidate capable to code visuals in any or various computer languages (Ex.: Java, python, html, c++), interested in developing solutions within a creative team with excellent professional and personal growing opportunities. We work with sevaral scientific data provided by different research areas (geophysics, volcanology, biology, social studies, etc.).  We code in Processing, Max MSP, Pure Data, etc., and we also do art.

Our main current project is based on  the developing of a new volcano-oriented Geographic Information System (VolGIS); the idea at the base of “VolGIS” is to generate an open source platform that offers the possibility to every scientist to choose a volcano and, after the upload of its own dataset, perform every kind of analysis in a 3D and 4D environment (at this stage the time analysis is not implemented yet).

With the current version of the “VolGIS” it is possible to do a preliminary density analysis and to generate a 3D isosurface density map. Every kind of interrogation can be performed both on the entire area and in a specific zone inside the main one.

PhD student Roberto Guardo will present the prototype of VolGIS at the IAVCEI scientific assembly on Tuesday, August 15, 2017, 12:30 PM - 12:45 PM at Room: A105 (Integrating spatial earthquake distribution and 3D modelling analysis in a customizable GIS for a new perspective in volcano preliminary imaging: the case study of Mt. Etna).

The next step, at this point, is to integrate as soon as possible the already available tomography codes (i.e. MuRAT, LOTOS, etc.)

Our lab is located in a beautiful mountain town in the Argentinian Patagonia, meters from the lake Nahuel Huapi.

Interested candidates please contact Professor Carola Dreidemie at (cdreidemie@xxxxxxxxxxx), to learn more about this opportunity.

Links of interest:

http://www.unrn.edu.ar/

https://www.facebook.com/LVCC.UNRN/