VOLCANO: IAVCEI 2017: Call for input: ECR panel discussion - Scientific Communication during a Crisis

From: ECR-Net IAVCEI <ecrnetiavcei@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: IAVCEI 2017: Call for input: ECR panel discussion - Scientific Communication during a Crisis

Dear Early-Career volcano enthusiast, dear colleagues,

Do you want to know more about communication during a volcanic crisis? Ever been cornered by a journalist who wants you to forecast the exact week, day, hour, minute, second of the next eruption on the particular volcano you’ve been working on? Wondering if it’s a good idea to engage with the public using your Twitter feed during the eruption of “your” volcano?

IAVCEI’s ECR-Net and Portland’s IAVCEI 2017 organizing committee are sponsoring a lunchtime panel discussion on “Scientific Communication during a Crisis”. The discussions will specifically target Early-Career volcanologists of all stripes, and we need your help to make this a success! Our panel of six experts will cover a range of perspectives, including academia, stakeholders, emergency managers, and communication experts, and they are eager to respond to what you feel most deeply about.

Do certain questions/issues/challenges directly come to mind, maybe due to what you personally experienced when in the field, the lab or through contact with the public or the press? Please e-mail your suggestion to ecrnetiavcei@xxxxxxxxx, post it on our twitter feed @iavcei_ECRNet or our facebook wall (IAVCEI Early-Career Volcanologists). And be sure to attend on Thursday 17th of August during 12:45-1:45 PM at the Oregon Convention Center to talk directly with the expert panel!

Hoping for a massive response!

IAVCEI’s ECR-Net