VOLCANO: AGU 2017. Melt generation, transport, and extraction in the on- and off-axis mid-ocean ridge environment (V019)

From: Meghan Jones <meghanj@xxxxxxx>
Subject: AGU 2017. Melt generation, transport, and extraction in the on- and off-axis mid-ocean ridge environment (V019)

Dear Colleagues,

We encourage you to submit an abstract to our V019 session at the 2017 AGU Fall Meeting (December 11-15, New Orleans, USA).

Melt generation, transport, and extraction in the on- and off-axis mid-ocean ridge environment

Observations of volcanic construction, geophysical data analysis, and characterizations of the petrological and geochemical variation of extruded lavas all provide critical insight into melting processes at mid-ocean ridge systems. This session will bring together multi-disciplinary observations and modeling efforts to investigate melt generation and migration in an effort to better understand the formation and evolution of oceanic crust and lithosphere. Topics include, but are not limited to: on-axis magma chamber processes, crustal accretion and volcanism; the development and evolution of off-axis magma bodies; near-axis and flank volcanism; near-axis seamount formation and evolution; volcanism along oceanic transform faults; investigations of ophiolites; and tectonic windows into the melting processes. We encourage insights gained from structural/tectonic analyses, volcano morphology, geophysical imaging, petrology, geochemistry, and geodynamic and petrologic models of mantle melting at mid-ocean ridges.

The abstract deadline in August 2, 2017. Further details and abstract submissions can be found here: https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm17/preliminaryview.cgi/Session24174

Invited Speakers:
Tobias Keller
Vera Schlindwein