VOLCANO: Session AGU 2017 - V038: “Volumes, Timescales, and Frequency of Magmatic Processes in Plutons, Chambers, and Reservoirs in the Earth’s Lithosphere”

From: Mattia Pistone <mattia.pistone@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Session AGU 2017 - V038: “Volumes, Timescales, and Frequency of Magmatic Processes in Plutons, Chambers, and Reservoirs in the Earth’s Lithosphere”

Dear colleagues,

We wish to drive your attention to our Session V038 entitled “Volumes, Timescales, and Frequency of Magmatic Processes in Plutons, Chambers, and Reservoirs in the Earth’s Lithosphere”, to be held at AGU 2017 in New Orleans, LA, US, in the period 11th-15th December 2017:

Session ID#: 23877
Session Description:
Where, when, and for how long magmas are stored within the Earth’s lithosphere and how they contribute to its architecture and dynamics remain important challenges in geosciences. Unravelling the volumes, mechanics, chemistry, and evolution of magmatic bodies in the Earth’s lithosphere and answering such questions as:

(i) How do we detect magmatic bodies, and determine their volume and geometry?
(ii) How can we quantify chemical, mechanical, and thermal processes operating within these magmas?
(iii) How can we determine the frequency of magma injections/dykes and melt extraction events?
(iv) How do we interrogate minerals, glasses and melts, or volatile emissions to constrain the timescales and location of magmatic processes?
requires investigating the geochemical, mechanical, and thermal combinations controlled by magma transport, emplacement, storage, and fluxes. Resolving these questions therefore needs collaborations between field geologists, geochemists, petrologists, volcanologists, geophysicists, and modellers, and we hope all researchers in this area will consider contributing.

We invite you to submit your contribution to the following link:

The research themes of this session are also explored in our current Research Topic in Frontiers for which we accept contributions for publication:

If you have any question, please do not hesitate to contact us. We look forward to meeting you at AGU in December!

Best,

Benoit Taisne (Earth Observatory of Singapore, Singapore, Singapore)

Olivier Bachmann (ETH Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland)

Katherine J. Dobson (Durham University, Durham, United Kingdom)

Mattia Pistone (University of Lausanne, Lausanne, Switzerland)