VOLCANO: 2017 AGU Fall Meeting Session - V018: Lava Flow Hazard Monitoring

From: Ciro Del Negro <ciro.delnegro@xxxxxxx>
Subject: 2017 AGU Fall Meeting Session - V018: Lava Flow Hazard Monitoring

Dear all,

We invite you to submit an abstract to our session at AGU 2017 in New Orleans, December 11 - 15, 2017.

V018: Lava Flow Hazard Monitoring https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm17/preliminaryview.cgi/Session24028

Quantifying lava flow hazards by combining field observations, satellite data and numerical modeling has immediate applications to the real time monitoring of effusive eruptions. By monitoring, we mean here both following the manifestations of the eruption once it has started, as well as forecasting the areas potentially threatened by lava in an effusive scenario. The need for integrated and efficient monitoring systems, operating on a global scale, and including tools for producing different scenarios as eruptive conditions change, is a primary challenge for volcanic hazard assessment. A satellite-driven modelling strategy could represent an operational monitoring system that should give during an eruption: (i) the current state of the effusive activity; (ii) the probable evolution of the lava flow field; (iii) the potential impact of lava flows. This session seeks to bring together the remote sensing, modelling and hazard response communities with a volcanic hazard focus.

Conveners: Ciro Del Negro, Andrew JL Harris, Einat Lev, and Michael S Ramsey

Abstract submission deadline:  2 August 23:59 EDT/03:59 +1 GMT

See you there,

Ciro Del Negro [on behalf of V018 convenors]