VOLCANO: AGU Fall Mtg Session V005 Crystals: Microscale archives of macroscale igneous processes

From: Kara Brugman <kara.brugman@xxxxxxx>
Subject: AGU Fall Mtg Session V005 Crystals: Microscale archives of macroscale igneous processes

Hello Volcano Listserv! We invite you to submit an abstract to our session at AGU 2017 in New Orleans (Dec. 11–15).

The deadline for abstracts is Wednesday, August 2.

V005: Crystals: Microscale archives of macroscale igneous processes (24404)

https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm17/preliminaryview.cgi/Session24404

Crystals in igneous rocks, and the inclusions they host, are small-scale archives used to unravel the histories of large-scale magmatic processes. Chemical signatures in crystals and melt inclusions are used to infer magma storage conditions and processes from crystal growth to magma emplacement. Geochronology and diffusion chronometry of whole crystals or crystal zones help constrain timescales of magmatic processes. Beyond the information gained by studying the crystals themselves, mineral and melt inclusions provide yet another window into the chemical histories of deep magma storage and transport.

We invite studies using crystals and crystal-hosted inclusions in igneous rocks as geologic records of magmatic processes. Submissions may include experimental, analytical, modeling, as well as field-based perspectives applicable to Earth and other planetary bodies. Studies utilizing multidisciplinary approaches are particularly welcome.

Conveners: Kayla Iacovino, Karalee Brugman, Meghan Guild (Arizona State University)

We look forward to meeting you!