VOLCANO: IAVCEI 2017: short message on conference hotel availability

From: Wendy Bohrson <bohrson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: IAVCEI 2017: short message on conference hotel availability

2017 IAVCEI participants,

It has come to our attention that the conference hotel, the Hilton Portland and Executive Towers, may currently indicate limited (or no) room availability when reservations are booked through the hotel registration link on the conference website. This message pertains particularly to the several days before and after the meeting dates. (Meeting is Monday August 14 to Friday August 18, with pre- and post-meeting workshops and field trips).

Demand for hotel rooms in the several days before and after the meeting was greater than anticipated, and thus you may get a message that there are no rooms available if you try to book a reservation for an extended period that includes both the meeting week and days before or after. The organizing committee is currently working with the hotel to try to release more rooms for the days before and after the meeting so that we can better accommodate those who wish to stay in the Hilton. Our room block still has sufficient capacity during the week of the meeting to accommodate needs.

If you have attempted to get a room at the Hilton and have not been successful, we ask you to wait several days and try again (and to let us know at 2017conf@xxxxxxx).

The specially priced room block for the conference remains in effect until July 23. The conference hotel is centrally located, and easily accessed via Portland's light rail from the airport and convention center. The Hilton will also house several of the pre- and post-meeting workshops and some syn-meeting activities. We appreciate that staying in the Hilton is a convenient choice, and we are working with the hotel to best accommodate the needs of IAVCEI participants.

Please bear with us as we attempt to solve this pre- and post-meeting room shortage.  We will be back in touch when we have more information on hotel access.

Many thanks,

Wendy Bohrson, on behalf of the 2017 Portland IAVCEI Organizing Committee