VOLCANO: Pre-IAVCEI workshop: Modeling volcanic processes using MELTS

From: Guilherme Gualda <g.gualda@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Pre-IAVCEI workshop: Modeling volcanic processes using MELTS

Hi All,

I would like to draw your attention to a pre-meeting workshop on the use of MELTS to model volcanic processes that Mark Ghiorso and I are organizing connected with the 2017 IAVCEI Scientific Assembly, to be held in Portland in August 2017. Details about the workshop can be found below, and online at: http://iavcei2017.org/preA_3.html

The goal of this workshop is to introduce participants to the use of MELTS for modeling volcanic processes. We will go beyond introduction to interfaces, and will instead focus on various applications possible using MELTS. The 2-day format will allow for more extensive interaction and we plan to leave time for questions and discussion.

Please pass this along to anyone who you think might be interested. Do not hesitate to let us know if you have any questions.

We hope many of you will decide to attend the workshop!

Best,

Guil

Modeling volcanic processes using MELTS

In this workshop, we will introduce participants to applications of MELTS – a family of computation thermodynamics tools that can be used for phase equilibria calculations relevant for magmatic systems. We will provide a short introduction to the principles underlying the MELTS models; we will help users troubleshoot installation of the MELTS graphic user interface on Mac and MELTS Excel on Windows machines and virtual boxes on Mac; we will discuss the various versions of MELTS currently available; and we will discuss a number of applications to volcanic systems and processes. Some of the applications we will discuss include: (a) crystallization of magmas under constant pressure; (b) crystallization under various fO2 constraints; (c) decompression-driven crystallization; (d) calculation of crystallization pressures for rhyolites with quartz and two feldspars; (e) calculation of titania and silica activities for crystallizing magmas; (f) crystallization and melting following assimilation; (g) calculations using mixed H2O-CO2 fluids. We will allow time to address questions from participants regarding possible applications of MELTS in their research and teaching.

Workshop leaders:
Guilherme Gualda, Vanderbilt University; g.gualda@vanderbilt.edu
Mark Ghiorso, OFM Research; ghiorso@ofm-research.org

Cost: $210