VOLCANO: Reminder: IAVCEI session VIII.1 New approaches using statistical methods in volcanology

From: "Richardson, Jacob A. (GSFC-698.0)[UNIVERSITIES SPACE RESEARCH ASSOCIATION]" <jacob.a.richardson@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Reminder: IAVCEI session VIII.1 New approaches using statistical methods in volcanology

Abstracts can be submitted by March 17 at http://iavcei2017.org/abstract.html.

VIII.1 New approaches using statistical methods in volcanology:

Statistical methods are central to robust interpretation of volcanological datasets. Such methods hold great promise, both for studying active processes where large quantities of multi-instrumental data are becoming available, and for past eruptions where community databases are becoming more complete and far-reaching. Data from observations derived above or below the surface provide different perspectives that, with proper analysis, can be merged for a more complete view of a volcano and its eruptive behavior. Statistical methods are used to evaluate data quality (including quantifying uncertainty and data coherence), interpolate over data gaps, detect changes, merge multiple datasets, correlate observations, etc. Such methods, combined with predictive and physics-based models, represent a link between modern processes and the geologic record that has the potential to integrate traditionally distinct disciplines. However, significant challenges remain due to the episodic nature of volcanism and the variety, completeness, and quality of data. We welcome contributions from any field of volcanology that emphasizes statistical analysis. We particularly seek contributions that use statistics to compare geochemistry, geophysics, physical volcanology, petrology, remote sensing, topography, InSAR, and other observational datasets with predictions from models to investigate the rich magmatic histories that lead to volcanic eruptions.

Invited Speakers:

Juliet Biggs (University of Bristol)

Mark Bebbington (Massey University)

We remain 99.7% confident that this session will be significant to your conference, whether you’re a Bayesian or a Frequentist.

Sincerely, the Conveners,

Gabor Kereszturi, Massey University, NZ, kereszturi_g@xxxxxxxxx

Leif Karlstrom, University of Oregon, USA, leif@xxxxxxxxxxx

Benjamin Black, City College of New York, USA, bblack.ccny@xxxxxxxxx