VOLCANO: IAVCEI session II.6: "Volcanism and magmatism under water or ice"

From: Meghan Jones <meghanj@xxxxxxx>
Subject: IAVCEI session II.6: "Volcanism and magmatism under water or ice"

Dear colleagues,

We invite you to submit an abstract to our Volcanism and magmatism under water or ice (II.6) session at the IAVCEI 2017 Scientific Assembly in Portland, OR on August 14-18, 2017.

This session will explore the influence of planetary water/ice on magma generation, melt evolution during ascent, eruption dynamics, and volcanic products. Despite the logistical challenges, an increasing set of observations in such settings, including event responses, reveal volcanic phenomena that are unique to the subaqueous environment. Eruption into a dense, more thermally conductive medium profoundly influences the character of glacio- and submarine compared to subareal volcanism. Furthermore, a growing body of work suggests links between magmatic fluxes/eruption parameters and climate-driven changes in ocean depth and/or ice thickness. We seek to better understand eruption-H2O phenomena recorded in volcanic deposits and how they may illuminate studies of magmatic architecture and melt evolution, volcanism, and paleo-climate.

We welcome presentations about multidisciplinary field, lab, and theoretical studies of H2O-magma/volcano interactions from: 1) chrono/chemostratigraphies, morphologies, distributions, and physical properties of volcanic constructs and products, 2) petrology and geochemistry of volcanic products (including volatiles); 3) high-resolution remote and in situ observations, 3) geophysical techniques, and 4) analog and field-based experiments.

Abstract submission is now open and the deadline for submission is March 17, 2017. Please submit your abstracts through the IAVCEI website: http://iavcei2017.org/abstract.html.

Conveners:

Brian Dreyer (University of California, Santa Cruz)
Meghan Jones (Massachusetts Institute of Technology/Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution)
Meagen Pollock (The College of Wooster)
Ken Rubin (University of Hawai‘i)

We look forward to seeing you in Portland!