VOLCANO: Erta Ale volcano (Ethiopia): lava lake overflows 16-19 Jan 2017

From: Tom Pfeiffer <tpfeiffer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Erta Ale volcano (Ethiopia): lava lake overflows 16-19 Jan 2017

Dear all,

Erta Ale has recently been having one of its most intense eruptive phases in decades. A surge in magma supply that gradually began in late 2016, then intensified in January, first caused the lava lake to erupt and overflow on all sides, covering much of the caldera and building a new shield. The process escalated and culminated in a flank eruption when effusive fissures opened downrift 2-4 km from the summit on 21 Jan 2017, draining the lava lake and causing large-scale collapses in the summit area.

Participants on one of our recent Volcano Special tours to the area were lucky enough to witness the final lava lake overflow phase, a spectacular build-up to the flank eruption, from close during 16-19 Jan.

For those who might be interested in these remarkable events, we compiled a chronological illustrated report with great photos from our friend Paul Reichert as well as eye-witness reports we received from the other members of the expedition:

https://www.volcanodiscovery.com/photos/erta-ale/jan17/lava-lake-overflows.html

Enjoy!

Many greetings,
Tom Pfeiffer