VOLCANO: Interpreting textures in magmatic systems from storage to surface

From: "DOBSON, KATE" <katherine.dobson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Interpreting textures in magmatic systems from storage to surface

Dear colleagues,

We would like to draw your attention to the following session at the EGU General Assembly (23-28 April 2017).

To submit an abstract please follow the link: http://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU2017/abstractsubmission/24716. Note that abstract submission deadline is 11 January 2017 13:00 CET.

GMPV4.4 Interpreting textures in magmatic systems from storage to surface

The textures and micro-structures in igneous rocks preserve a record of the complex magmatic processes they have experienced. However, as textures evolve during multiple phases of crystal and bubble nucleation and growth during storage and ascent, and are then further modified by eruptive processes, interpreting these textured can be challenging. As the textures control melt-crystal separation, rheology, fracture and annealing processes, permeability and many other phenomena, improving our ability to interrogate and interpret the preserved textures, remains a key challenge across magmatic and volcanic research from deep storage to the surface. We invite contributions that use theoretical, mineralogical, geochemical, geophysical or experimental methods to better understand and interpret the textures, their causes and their consequences. We particularly welcome submissions from early career scientists, and aim to highlight the benefits of cross- and multi-disciplinary approaches and collaborations by showcasing contributions from all areas of the magmatic system.

We look forward to seeing you in Vienna!

Kate Dobson

Marian Holness

Margherita Polacci