VOLCANO: Session S.08: Gas, aerosols, ash and the atmosphere, VMSG Meeting, Liverpool, UK, 4-6 Jan 2017

From: Mike Burton <mike.burton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Session S.08: Gas, aerosols, ash and the atmosphere, VMSG Meeting, Liverpool, UK, 4-6 Jan 2017

Dear Colleagues,

We’ll be holding a session focussed on Gas, Aerosols, Ash and the atmosphere in this year’s UK Volcano and Magmatic Studies Group meeting, which is held in Liverpool between 4-6 January 2017.

We have an exciting and timely invited talk from Brendan McCormick who will present recent gas measurements from Papua New Guinea’s remote and poorly understood volcanoes, entitled “Multi-sensor measurements of gas emissions from the volcanoes of Papua New Guinea”.

The deadline for abstract submissions is 5th November, 2016

The meeting website is here: https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/tsg-vmsg-bga/

Registration is here: https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/tsg-vmsg-bga/registration/

Abstract Submission is here: https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/tsg-vmsg-bga/abstract-submission/ (note our session is S8, so you would need to save the abstract with name Surname_Institution_S8)

Our session description is as follows.

S.08 - Gas, aerosols, ash and the atmosphere

Volcanic activity produces gas, aerosols and ash, reflecting a multitude of processes, encompassing magma chemistry and dynamics, eruption processes and climate impacts. The purpose of this session is to provide a forum for examining the state of the art in observations, experiments and modelling of the processes which produce gas, aerosol and ash emissions, and their climatic effects. We envisage contributions from satellite and ground-based remote sensing, in-situ quantification of gas and aerosol compositions, experiments on magma flow and crystallisation, modelling of magma ascent dynamics, eruption columns, plume dispersion, plume chemistry and climatic impacts. Multidisciplinary approaches which draw on combinations of observations, experiments and models are particularly encouraged.

We look forward to seeing many of you in Liverpool,

Best,

Mike Burton

Evgenia Ilyinskaya

Amy Donovan