VOLCANO: AGU 2016. Art and Design of Visualizations in the Geosciences: Inspiration, Interpretation, and Communication (PA003)

AGU 2016. Art and Design of Visualizations in the Geosciences: Inspiration, Interpretation, and Communication (PA003)
From: Jill Shipman <jsshipman@xxxxxxxxxx>

Dear Scientists, Artists, and Collaborators,

We are pleased to announce the session: "Art and Design of Visualizations in the Geosciences: Inspiration, Interpretation, and Communication (PA003)" at the AGU Fall Meeting Dec. 12-16, 2016 in San Francisco. We invite you to submit an abstract to our session and the submission deadline is 3 August 2016, 11:59 P.M. EDT

Please note this is a Public Affairs session so you may present here in addition to your normal research session.

The session description is:

Geoscientists strive to find innovative ways to visualize and learn from large data sets and communicate the broader societal impacts of geoscience research. Aesthetically compelling visualizations can facilitate the creative exploration and understanding of scientific data. Integration of artistic and design principles into a research project can also provide new perspectives on the communication of those findings. This session features collaborations among researchers, artists, and designers who create works that highlight scientific findings and/or challenge colleagues to expand the way they communicate scientific research to diverse populations, inform policy and decision-making efforts, and promote the role of art in the geosciences. We encourage submissions of projects at all stages of development to facilitate dialogue and collaboration among an interdisciplinary group of geoscientists, educators, designers, filmmakers, and other creative professionals in the visual and performing arts fields.

https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm16/preliminaryview.cgi/Session13893

Primary Convener:

Jill Shipman, FRAME Film Production Services, Department of Theater & Film and Geophysical Institute, University of Alaska Fairbanks (jsshipman@xxxxxxxxxx)

Co-conveners:

Saskia van Manen, Studio SassiKo, Netherlands (studiosassiko@xxxxxxxxx)

Peter Webley, V-ADAPT, Inc, and Alaska Center for Unmanned Aircraft Systems Integration, Geophysical Institute, University of Alaska Fairbanks (pwwebley@xxxxxxxxxx)

Pips Veazey, Decision Theater North, Alaska NSF EPSCoR, University of Alaska Fairbanks, (adveazey@xxxxxxxxxx)

We look forward to your submission to the session and furthering the integration of the arts in the geoscience community. Please contact us if you have any questions.

To submit your abstract please visit: http://fallmeeting.agu.org/2016/abstract-submissions/

Kindest Regards,
Jill Shipman