VOLCANO: AGU 2016. V036: Volumes, Timescales, and Frequency of Magmatic Processes in Plutons, Chambers, and Reservoirs in the Earth’s Crust

AGU 2016. V036: Volumes, Timescales, and Frequency of Magmatic Processes in Plutons, Chambers, and Reservoirs in the Earth’s Crust
From: "Pistone, Mattia" <PistoneM@xxxxxx>

Dear Colleagues,

We are delighted to invite abstract submissions to our 2016 AGU session (V036) on
Volumes, Timescales, and Frequency of Magmatic Processes in Plutons, Chambers, and Reservoirs in the Earth’s Crust :

Link:
https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm16/preliminaryview.cgi/Session12611

Session description:
When, where, and for how long magmas are transported and stored within Earth’s crust domain in different tectonic settings are key questions in geosciences. Unravelling the internal structure and dynamics of Earth’s crust means investigating the different geochemical, mechanical, and thermal combinations that control the dynamics (i.e. magma transport, emplacement, storage, and fluxes) and internal geometries (i.e. pluton/chamber/reservoir volumes and distributions) within Earth’s crust. We welcome field geologists, geochemists, petrologists, volcanologists, geophysicists, and numerical modellers who utilise field, numerical, and experimental methods to address the following key questions:
(i) How do we detect magmatic bodies? How do we determine their status and volume in Earth's crust?
(ii) How can we quantify the chemical, mechanical, and thermal processes that operate within those volumes?
(iii) How can we determine the frequency of magma injections/pulses in Earth’s crust? What is the architecture of dyke and plumbing systems feeding volcanoes?

Invited Speakers:

Michael Eddy (MIT, Cambridge, MA, United States)

Michael Kendall (University of Bristol, United Kingdom)

Conveners:

Mattia Pistone (Smithsonian Institution, Washington, DC, United States)

Katherine J. Dobson (Durham University, Durham, United Kingdom)

Olivier Bachmann
(ETH-Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland)

Benoit Taisne (Earth Observatory of Singapore, Singapore, Singapore)

We look forward to seeing you in San Francisco!

Best wishes,

Mattia,
Kate, Olivier, Benoit