VOLCANO: New project VolFilm: developing multilingual and multi-platform films for resilience to risks from volcanic hazards

New project VolFilm: developing multilingual and multi-platform films for resilience to risks from volcanic hazards
From: Sarah K Brown <Sarah.K.Brown@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Dear Colleagues

VOLFilm: Multilingual and multi-platform films for resilience to risks from volcanic hazards

We would like to draw your attention to this project that has been started at the University of Bristol in collaboration with a team of volcanologists and film makers from around the world. This project is endorsed by IAVCEI and facilitated through the Global Volcano Model.

We would welcome your help in provision of footage and information about film use.

The project

We will develop films for resilience to risks from volcanic hazards in areas with no experience of eruptions in living memory. Many volcanoes erupt infrequently, and communities near such volcanoes can have increased vulnerability due to their inexperience and poor knowledge of volcanic hazards and risk. Film is a very effective tool for communicating knowledge, and two IAVCEI films produced about 20 years ago have been used successfully among populations, authorities and volcano observatories for education purposes, probably helping to save many lives. These have been an excellent resource, but there is now a need for updated media and use of new communication platforms such as the internet. VOLFilm will address this need.

Phase 1 of the project involves the development of a film archive and creation of a small number of short, modular films on volcanic hazards and their impacts. The modular approach will allow each film to be viewed as a standalone object, or for combination into longer, bespoke films appropriate to different volcanoes, situations and needs. These films will be made available in English, French, Spanish and Indonesian, and their use will initially be evaluated in the Eastern Caribbean, the Democratic Republic of Congo and the South Pacific.

Can you help?

We would welcome the help of the global volcanology community in the creation of the film archive. This will be a database of footage, including information on content, film quality, format, and ownership, enabling the identification of high quality and visually effective footage for use in our films. We have somewhat limited funds, so we are asking wherever possible for donation of film, or reduced rates for purchase of footage as this project and the films created are educational and non-commercial.

If you have footage of eruptions, hazards and impacts that you would be willing to share please get in touch. We would also like to know about films that are used in educational settings, observatories or amongst communities. Do please also get in touch if you have any comments or suggestions for the project.

Many thanks

Steve Sparks, Sarah Brown and the VolFilm team (G.Jolly & J.Thomson, GNS Science; R.Robertson, University of the West Indies; JC Komorowski, IPGP; K.Karume, Goma Volcano Observatory; E.Garaebiti, Vanuatu Geohazards Observatory; J.Pallister & C.Driedger, USGS; I.Stewart, Plymouth University; J.Barclay, University of East Anglia)