VOLCANO: AGU 2015. "Volcanic Eruptions and Volcanic Ash Plumes: Are We Better Prepared for the Next One?"

AGU 2015. "Volcanic Eruptions and Volcanic Ash Plumes: Are We Better Prepared for the Next One?"
From: "Schneider, David" <djschneider@xxxxxxxx>

We want to call your attention to this AGU session of interest. Please note that an author can submit an additional abstract to the Public Affairs section without it counting against the submission limit. Please consider contributing to this very important session on moving your research into action.

The abstract submission deadline is 5 August.

https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm15/preliminaryview.cgi/Session9062

PA025:
Volcanic Eruptions and Volcanic Ash Plumes: Are We Better Prepared for the Next One?

Session ID#: 9062
Session Description:
Volcanoes present a variety of hazards on the local and global scale. During a volcanic crisis, people are faced with specific decisions based on the particular hazard they may be presented with.  These decisions are often based on a cost-benefit analysis weighted by the perception of risk and the perception of mitigating actions, which may vary depending on socio-economic and political factors.  Given a growing understanding of atmospheric and geologic processes resulting from advances in technology and scientific instrumentation, our ability to monitor, model and forecast volcanic events has dramatically improved in recent decades: progress which has strengthened inputs into the decision making process regarding societal impacts.  This session seeks to examine the interface between volcanic research and monitoring, and societal response before, during and after a volcanic eruption.

Primary Convener:
Hans N Lechner, Michigan Technological University, Houghton, MI, United States
Conveners:
Linda R Rowan, UNAVCO, Inc. Boulder, Boulder, CO, United States
David J Schneider, USGS Alaska Volcano Observatory, Anchorage, AK, United States