VOLCANO: IUGG 2015. VS03 LIPs: Vents and Volatiles

IUGG 2015. VS03 LIPs: Vents and Volatiles
From: Ukstins Peate, Ingrid <ingrid-peate@xxxxxxxxx>

Special Session VS03 LIPs: Vents and Volatiles

IUGG IAVCEI
June 22-July 2, 2015, Prague, Czech Republic

**ABSTRACTS DUE Jan. 31, 2015** http://www.iugg2015prague.com/abstracts/abstract-submission.htm

Convener: Ingrid Ukstins Peate (Iowa City, Iowa, USA) Ingrid-Peate@xxxxxxxxx
Co-conveners: Scott Bryan (Brisbane, Australia), Steve Self (Milton Keynes, U.K.)

This symposium will focus on recent advances made in our understanding of delivery mechanisms and volatile impact of flood volcanic eruptions from Large Igneous Provinces (LIPs) – mafic, silicic and bimodal. Increases in our understanding of eruption product records, volatile load and dispersal, and identification of vent sites sourcing individual eruptions provides the opportunity to re-evaluate these parameters with the goal of quantifying the current state of knowledge and guiding future targets of study. We invite papers that address the following themes: 1. Studies of LIP eruptions and vent sites as a mechanism for quantifying eruption processes. 2. Quantification of volatile fluxes on the scale of individual eruptions to LIPs. 3. Climate impact of volatiles from individual eruptions to cumulative province emplacement – especially novel volatiles such as F, Cl, Br. 4. Integrated impact of eruption mechanisms on volatile dispersal and consequences.