VOLCANO: EGU 2015. GMPV 5.7 "Volatiles in Magma: From Source to Surface"

EGU 2015. GMPV 5.7 "Volatiles in Magma: From Source to Surface"
From: dimuro <dimuro@xxxxxxx>

Dear colleagues,

On the behalf of my co-conveners (Mike BURTON, Roberto MORETTI, Michael Robert CARROLL, Hélène BALCONE-BOISSARD) I would like to invite you to submit your contributions to the upcoming EGU session GMPV 5.7 (Co-sponsored by the VGP section of AGU) "VOLATILES IN MAGMA: FROM SOURCE TO SURFACE"

Deadline for receipt of abstracts is January 7, 2015.

INVITED SPEAKERS:

P. AGRINIER (IPGP) “Chlorine isotopes of thermal springs in arc volcanoes for tracing shallow magmatic activity “

G. BOUDON (IPGP) “What factors control the shallow lava dome explosivity?”

Session description:
Volatiles elements have dramatic influence on magma evolution, ascent, storage, eruption dynamics and environmental impact of volcanic activity. We welcome submissions that focus on i) constraining volatile budget in magmas, ii) quantifying degassing processes (equilibrium vs. non equilibrium) and iii) understanding the role of volatiles on magma evolution, ascent and eruption dynamics. This session targets researches devoted to improve our understanding of the source and the fate of C-O-H-S-F-Cl fluids at high temperature and over a broad range of pressures, from the magma source to the eruptive vents. We invite contributions on physical and chemical properties of magmatic fluids, the influence of volatiles on phase equilibria and physico-chemical melt properties. We seek contributions with an emphasis on both novel and classical approaches to trace and model volatiles in magmas as well multidisciplinary researches coupling crystal, melt and fluid inclusion analysis, thermodynamic modeling and experimental petrology, geochemistry of magma and gas emissions.

Andrea DI MURO
Institut de Physique du Globe de Paris (IPGP)
Observatoire Volcanologique du Piton de la Fournaise (OVPF)