VOLCANO: Offline tool for ash detection

Offline tool for ash detection
From: Shona Mackie <Shona.Mackie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Apologies for cross-posting

I recently made an offline tool for the manual discrimination of ash withiin a SEVIRI image. I wrote the widget to address the problem of there being no 'truth' for a student to compare her ash detection method against. It occurred to me that this is not an uncommon problem and we probably all spend time writing our own widgets along similar lines. I therefore posted the tool to VHUB so that anyone who finds it useful can use/share/modify/develop it. It hasn't been widely tested (written in IDL, used on Mac OSX and Windows), so I'd be pleased to hear how people get on with it. All the files needed to run the widget, and a README file instructions, are provided in a b2zipped tar file for download: https://vhub.org/resources/3602.

VHUB has some other great resources that are worth exploring for data, models and tools relating to all things volcanic: https://vhub.org/

Cheers
Shona

Dr. Shona Mackie