VOLCANO: Request for Assistance/Sensitization of School Pupils about Hazards and Sustainable Development

Request for Assistance/Sensitization of School Pupils about Hazards and Sustainable Development
From: Gerald Ernst <plumeman2000@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Dear friends and colleagues,

RE : Request to VOLCANO-LISTSERV for assistance for any educational resources
to help explore how to best sensitize College students and local communities
about Earth System hazards and risks,
and about sustainable development

Some of you may remember how engaged I have been over the years (1991-2012) in volcanology and geohazards research (ash fall and other pyroclastic hazards, eruption mechanics research, volcano remote sensing and explosive eruption microphysics and meteorology, ash and international air traffic safety…etc..), training and teaching at the University of Bristol (UK) for 12 years, closely cooperating with colleagues including in the UK, France, Spain, Germany, USA, Cameroon, etc.. and ultimately I was back in Belgium working at the University of Ghent for 9 years, where I have been trying with colleagues internationally to contribute to setting up new collaborative and participative volcano hazard-related efforts with our colleagues across Africa from Cameroon to Tanzania (majorly extended by colleagues in E Congo and in Ethiopia).  I am glad to confirm that wonderful efforts have hit target thanks to the work of many colleagues across Africa and worldwide and that some are also actively being pursued by young award-winning Belgian colleagues in particular (eg. Prof. M Kervyn and his group at VUB, Brussels). Prof. Kervyn is also innovating wonderful research in relation to analogue modelling and indeed pioneered the most exciting research I have been privileged to be associated with since returning to Belgium. He is continuing to innovate now in collaboration with one of our young and upcoming colleagues, Sam Poppe, who is already serving the community through his leading efforts with the IAVCEI young volcanologists’working group.

After training in quality management, non violent communication (NVC) and professional coaching in the past 2 years, aspects of which could helpfully be applied during volcanic crises or in teaching and training contexts for young volcanologists, and as I like major new challenges, I have now been engaging in a complementary direction, that of sensitizing our college students (12-1 8 y old’s), and ultimately I hope the wider population through participative action local community projects starting here in Belgium, to sensitize (or collect data) on:

- environmental hazards and risks,

- environmental degradation and ways of living and working more sustainably and ethically on our planet.

Hence I am now teaching math, physics and chemistry to young people in College, each day feeling that I am doing much more than this, actually making essential observations in a suitably small-scale and relevant human lab.

It seems to me that our classrooms are ideal natural labs (including to subsequently apply insights during volcanology crises or in relation to environmental disasters generally) to explore how communication or participative actions could become much more effective, how crises can be resolved at times when people are under pressure, stressed out or in conflict with each other.

I  am currently exploring how to set up a project that could contribute to sensitizing our students and eventually the local population of E Belgium through diverse activities integrated across the college school curriculum (language and philosophical classes, geography, history, economics,  applied mathematics and the physical, chemical or social sciences…) about the crucial issues here-above-mentioned.

Of course, means are currently more than extremely thin on the ground to develop anything in the College school system anywhere in Belgium, even if small funding possibilities may ultimately be identified (especially if we could demonstrate a first successful across-the-board project on this) from the Belgian Ministry of Education or ultimately from the EU.

Besides I no longer have free access to scientific literature that could also help us with this effort.
So I am appealing to your assistance in case some of you could spare, or directly or indirectly help us with relevant:

-           inspiring posters (planet Earth from space, plate tectonics, environmental remote sensing, volcanic and generally geological processes on other planets…),

-          educational documentaries (DVDs),

-          wide-audience educational powerpoints,

-          wide-audience sensitising publications in either French, English, Dutch or German (as we can work with our teenagers in various language classes…)

-          small lab experiment material that you could spare (or are getting rid off) whether for illustrating hazards in physics or measuring pollution in field or lab chemistry classes, bearing in mind we cannot afford any shipping costs (beyond token costs that I may be able to pull out of my own pocket).

-          free access to published literature (as I am now in a near-zero funding high school context)

-          if you happen to be in educational publishing (eg. CUP, OUP, Academic Press, New Scientist, Scientific American, BBC Science Education, Smithsonian or National History Museum publishing, etc.., we would be delighted to serve as a pilot school testing out innovative educational resources

-          or anything else you could think of and that may prove helpful (like offering to come and give a talk to our students and colleagues even though we are in remote E Belgium ?)

-          of course anything to do with volcanoes and volcanic eruptions always inspires many of our students; illustrating how beautiful Earth System is, also instills the seeds of environmental awareness and sustainable attitudes in our students or the wider population.

Here in Belgium and across the world I believe that I am not alone in saying that we are being increasingly hit by hazardous phenomena that are direct consequences of anthropogenic changes related to accelerating global warming and other aspects of climate change and environmental degradation that is occuring worldwide. The next 20 years, in my opinion, will not be too much time to prepare and to become actively engaged in raising the consciousness of humankind about environmental disasters that are increasingly hitting us all and preparing the ground for resuming solidarity networks and participating actions in advance of what I believe will be substantial if not extreme hardship for a substantial proportion of world population.

 Of course, I would be interested in exploring resuming research collaborations where we could jointly survey our students or colleagues upon their perception or awareness of hazards, risks and environmental issues, before and after sensitizing / educational sessions. The human factor of volcanic (or of other geohazard or climate-change-related risks) remains, in my opinion, the Achilles’heal in risk quantification so perhaps this may also lead to some helpful data and insights for many of you to tackle volcanic risk quantification accurately and for the first time comprehensively (and thus meaningfully). For what is the meaning of a risk equation that is leaving out half the factors ?

I look forward to hearing back from those who may wish to assist or advise us, and to resumed interactions with old friends and colleagues.

Finally, I also would like to wish a belated happy 65th birthday to my former prof, mentor, colleague and long-time friend, Prof. RSJ. Sparks. Steve has contributed so immensely to our science and community through his lifework in volcanology and far beyond its boundaries across the Earth and Environmental Sciences, and I must admit that I am completely ignorant as to whether this important event was celebrated across our community beyond the local UK or Rhode Island communities. So in case, I have missed the boat, happy birthday Steve, and thank you for inspiring us all for many lifetimes to come !

Greetings to all,
Prof. Gerald GJ. ERNST
Postal address for sending any material and for correspondance :

Gerald ERNST
Rue du TOMBEUX, 49
B-4801 STEMBERT (VERVIERS)
BELGIUM