VOLCANO: EGU 2014. Forecasting the Evolution of Ongoing Eruptions (co-sponsored by AGU-VGP)

Dear Colleagues,

We encourage contributions to the new session GMPV38 focussing on methods for forecasting the evolution of ongoing eruptions at next year's EGU General Assembly in Vienna, Austria, 27 April - 2 May 2014.
Please feel free to forward this to anybody who might be interested in the topic.
Session details below.

We look forward to seeing you in Vienna.

Important: Abstract submission deadline: January 16, 2014

Andrea Di Muro, Mike Burton, Paul Cole

Convener: Andrea DI MURO
Co-conveners: Michael BURTON, Paul COLE

Forecasting the evolution of an ongoing eruption is a task of great importance for Earth scientists, as insights into possible future scenarios are critical for volcano disaster management, and allow our scientific understanding of magmatic processes to be critically assessed and, potentially, validated.
Geochemical monitoring of eruptive products (gases, pyroclasts, lavas) coupled with modelling of magma ascent, degassing and eruption can produce quantitative constraints on the volumes and physical properties of magma in play and the magma ascent rate. Such constraints can be compared with both geophysical and volcanological observations, increasing confidence in our knowledge of the state of the volcanic system. Potentially, these measurements can be integrated into a time-dependent model of magma dynamics, allowing the future state of the volcano to be forecasted.
Within this framework, this session aims at presenting and discussing observations, modelling and monitoring methods that improve our understanding of the processes which control the evolution of eruptive dynamics.
We therefore welcome contributions related to i) detailed and multidisciplinary descriptions of case studies representative of the evolution of eruptive dynamics, 2) technical developments providing innovative and critical information of time and space evolution of eruptive dynamics 3) modelling of magma transfer and eruption linked with eruptive style changes, 3) case studies reporting the societal impact of eruptive style changes.

Observatoire Volcanologique du Piton de la Fournaise
Institut de Physique du Globe de Paris (IPGP)
CNRS UMR 7154
Le 27éme Km, 97418, Bourg Murat