VOLCANO: AGU Fall 2013 Session: ED023. Global Partnerships in Geoheritage and Improved Earth Science Literacy

AGU Fall 2013 Session: ED023. Global Partnerships in Geoheritage and Improved Earth Science Literacy
From: Benjamin van Wyk de Vries <B.vanwyk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

AGU Fall 2013 Session: ED023. Global Partnerships in Geoheritage and Improved Earth Science Literacy

The following session is proposed at the American Geophysical Union Fall meeting, December 2013 at San Francisco.
 We look forward to receiving you abstracts and are available to provide additional information.
The Session will be followed by an evening discussion at a local watering hole.

ED023. Global Partnerships in Geoheritage and Improved Earth Science Literacy

This session explores how geologic heritage programs benefit society through improved local economies, enhancement of earth science concepts and improved earth science literacy for the general public.
We focus on bring together a broad range of actors, from different areas (both public and private) with scientists, to see how all can be included in the decision making process.
We open an international dialogue on geoheritage partnerships and share best practices for implementation of geosites such as: inventorying, characterization and assessment, and conservation and protection measures for significant geological features and landscapes.
We solicit examples and case studies of global geoheritage programs, such as world heritage sites, geoparks and geotourism, and programs highlighting the tremendous educational resource offered by said sites around the world.

Conveners:

  1. Erika Vye, Michigan Technological University
    erikavye@xxxxxxxxx
  2. William Rose, Michigan Technological University
    raman@xxxxxxx
  3. Benjamin Van Wyk de Vries, Université Blaise Pascal
    b.vanwyk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  4. Cecile Olive-Garcia,Conseil général du Puy de Dôme
    cecile.olive@xxxxxxx