VOLCANO: Using Paleomagnetism and Rock Magnetism to Understand Volcanic Processes

Using Paleomagnetism and Rock Magnetism to Understand Volcanic Processes
From: Michael Ort <Michael.Ort@xxxxxxx>

Dear all fans of paleomagnetism and volcanism,

We have received the invitation to produce a Geological Society Special Publication related to “Using Paleomagnetism and Rock Magnetism to Understand Volcanic Processes”.  We have convened special session on Volcanism and Paleomagnetism at the IUGG Congress in Melbourne and at the Fall AGU meeting in San Francisco this year. We perceive significant interest in the subject, and think that this might be a worthwhile topic for a GSL publication.

We are sending this email to gauge the level of interest in submitting chapters to such a volume.  The chapters should be submitted by June 30, 2012, and would then undergo normal peer review and revision, with the goal of finalizing chapters for the issue by January 1, 2013.  Eight people responded with interest after a similar email to a limited distribution list a few months ago.  It would be great if those people would re-confirm their interest also.

An ideal GSL Special Publication would consist of 15-25 papers, although they have published larger and smaller ones.  The volumes in this series are published online in the Lyell Collection (www.lyellcollection.org<http://www.lyellcollection.org/><http://www.lyellcollection.org/>) and as hardback books. This series is highly regarded internationally for the quality of science and production.  There were nearly a million accesses of the online abstracts in 2010, and about 350,000 downloads of full papers.  GSL can now publish a first batch of papers in the Online First section of the Lyell Collection without having to wait for the whole book to complete and other papers will then be added as they are accepted. This will substantially reduce the publication delays previously associated with this type of collection of papers.  Special Publications are indexed in the recently launched Web of Science Book Citation Index. They are also indexed in Scopus.  GSL offers three free color figures in the print version of each chapter in SPs. There is no charge for online color figures.

If you are interested in participating in this volume, could you confirm your interest by sending a brief email to Michael Ort at michael.ort@xxxxxxx.  Please provide your name and co-authors and a preliminary title by February 15, 2012.  We will inform you on the next steps once we know the level of interest.

Best Regards,

John Geissman

Michael Ort

Massimiliano Porreca

Michael Ort
SESES
PO Box 4099 (Bldg. 12, Rm. 100 for package services)
Northern Arizona University
Flagstaff, AZ  86011  USA
Office: +1 928-523-9363
Fax: +1 928-523-9220
http://jan.ucc.nau.edu/~mho/

In 2011, more people were killed by Black Friday than by sharks in the United States.