VOLCANO: EGU Session NH 9.1: Nat. Cat. Risk Assessment: Integrating Public Private Academic Partnerships into Applications and Decision Making

EGU Session NH 9.1: Nat. Cat. Risk Assessment: Integrating Public Private Academic Partnerships into Applications and Decision Making
From: "Gunasekera, Rashmin" <gunasekerar@xxxxxxxxxx>

Dear Colleagues,

On behalf of the conveners, I would highlight a session at EGU in Vienna in April 2012 on Natural Catastrophe Risk Assessment including the impact of Volcanic risks.

**************************************************************************************************************************************

 NH9.1 Natural Catastrophe Risk Assessment: Integrating Public Private Academic Partnerships into Applications and Decision Making

**************************************************************************************************************************************

This applied session is building on the success of our past EGU sessions which brought together leading academics and public policy and commercial stakeholders (including (re)insurance and catastrophe modelling companies), we hope to identify further collaborative opportunities and innovative research methods for the benefit of all communities of risk practitioners.

The scientific community has a critical role to play in assessing the combined impacts of natural catastrophe risks, both in the public and private sectors. This session will highlight the role of science within public, private and academic partnerships to:

·         Develop novel modelling techniques and applications for better risk assessment

·         Enhance the understanding of the complex interaction between hazard, vulnerability and socio-economic impacts.

·         Address the deficiencies and inadequacies of current modelling approaches in light of our incomplete understanding of natural catastrophes as highlighted by recent events

This session welcomes presentations that explore the current and future value of natural hazard particularly volcanic risks, for both public and private decision making. We anticipate presentations covering a wide range of new model methodologies allowing assessment and mapping of the spatial distribution of exposure, evaluation of risk for perils such as volcanic eruptions, flood, windstorm, and tsunamis, and/or new ways of disseminating information in support of disaster risk management and risk reduction.

Please submit all abstracts online here:

http://meetings.copernicus.org/egu2012/abstract_management/index.html

Please note that the deadline for submission of abstracts: 17th January 2012.

Many thanks in Advance,

Rashmin Gunasekera (on behalf of the convenors)

For information pertaining to Willis' email confidentiality and monitoring policy, usage restrictions, or for specific company registration and regulatory status information, please visit http://www.willis.com/email_trailer.aspx

We are now able to offer our clients an encrypted email capability for secure communication purposes. If you wish to take advantage of this service or learn more about it, please let me know or contact your Client Advocate for full details. ~W67897