VOLCANO: EGU2012_session Rock Physics and Natural Hazards EMRP2.6/GMPV6.10/NH4.1/SM5.5/TS2.9

EGU2012_session Rock Physics and Natural Hazards EMRP2.6/GMPV6.10/NH4.1/SM5.5/TS2.9
From: sergio.vinciguerra@xxxxxxx

Dear Colleague,
we would like to encourage you to contribute with a presentation to the session on "Rock Physics and Natural Hazards" at the EGU Meeting, to be held in Vienna, Austria from 22 to 27 April 2012
(for details: http://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU2012/session/9082).

Invited speakers

Prof. C. Scholz, Columbia University, USA
Dr. N. De Paola, University of Durham, England
Prof. K. Russell, University of Vancouver, Canada

Convener: Sergio Vinciguerra
Co-Conveners: Daniel Faulkner, Giulio Di Toro

Deadline for receiving abstracts is 17th January 2012

A description of the session is also provided below.

Please pass this information to colleagues and students working in this
field. I apologise for multiple posting.

 Thank you

 Kind regards

 Sergio Vinciguerra

Event information

Natural hazards events such as earthquakes or volcanic eruptions involve activation of coupled thermo-hydro-chemo-mechanical processes in rocks. Understanding these dynamic coupled processes is therefore of key importance in elucidating our comprehension of earthquakes and volcanic unrests and essential for the mitigation of seismic and volcanic hazard.
Rock physics experiments and numerical models can help us to understand and constrain the mechanisms of natural hazards from the micro to the macro scale. We invite novel contributions based on laboratory experiments, numerical modeling and field work (or a combination of these) relative to the understanding of:

1) Fault evolution in the interseismic period, including healing, and sealing processes,
2) Rupture and frictional processes: experiments and modeling
3) Rock deformation and coupled processes in rocks,
4) Fault structure and mechanics, from the field and laboratory to exploratory drilling of major faults,
5) Fracture and flow in volcanic and geothermal areas and the physical properties of volcanic rocks