VOLCANO: New El Misti publication

**********************************************************************************************************************
New El Misti publication
From: Shan de Silva <desilvas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
**********************************************************************************************************************

We call to your attention to the publication of Geological Society of America Special Paper 484

The 2 ka Eruption of Misti Volcano,
Southern Peru—The Most Recent Plinian
Eruption of Arequipa’s Iconic Volcano
by Christopher J. Harpel, Shanaka de Silva, and Guido Salas

ISBN 978-0-8137-2484-3

Misti volcano’s last Plinian eruption, which happened ca. 2 ka, emplaced voluminous tephra-fall, pyroclastic fl
ow, and lahar deposits. Arequipa, located at the foot of the volcano, has a population of over 800,000 people
and growing. Misti will erupt explosively again, and it is important to understand the past Plinian eruption.
This Special Paper first provides a detailed description and analysis of the lahar deposits from the 2 ka eruption
and the flows that emplaced them. Because Misti is located in an arid region, we have also included a
detailed discussion of the paleoclimate conditions that provided the water for such voluminous lahars. We
further delineate the complete eruption sequence for the pyroclastic-fl ow and tephra-fall deposits, providing
a narrative of the eruption progression and dynamics. Finally, we discuss the 2 ka eruption in the context of
hazards from a future Plinian eruption and provide hazards maps for the different phenomena

Contents
Acknowledgments

Abstract

Chapter 1. Introduction: The 2 ka Eruption of Misti Volcano, Southern Peru—
The Most Recent Plinian Eruption of Arequipa’s Iconic Volcano

Chapter 2. Stratigraphy, Sedimentology, and Origin of the 2 ka Upper Flowage Deposits

Chapter 3. The 2 ka Eruption of Misti Volcano, Southern Peru

Chapter 4. Implications for Future Hazards from Eruptions of Misti Volcano

References Cited

Professor
Department of Geosciences
Wilkinson Hall 104
Oregon State University
Corvallis
OR 97331

Increasing Diversity in the Earth Sciences

PLUTONS - exploring the Volcano-Plutonic Connection