VOLCANO: Cultural and Religious Understandings of Volcanic Disasters

Cultural and Religious Understandings of Volcanic Disasters
From: David Harris <dmwharris@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Dear All,

I am currently at University College London and reading in MSc Geophysical Hazards and currently undergoing research on my thesis. The aim of my research is on how religious and cultural understandings have become hidden and forgotten about in disaster literature and how they should be interconnected with risk planning and mitigation in disasters in the future as they play an important role within traditional societies (which coincidentally is what the Hyogo framework tried to achieve 6 years ago).

My thesis emphasises on the transition between the 1888 eruption of Krakatau and the 1991 eruption of Mount Pinatubo. However, I am also keen to get the viewpoint of the current scientists and academics in the field and see how they go about their research and if they include religion and culture currently, especially in volcanic disasters.

If you have a spare few minutes I would be very grateful if you could complete the very short survey (link below).

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/79Y3QZC

If you have any questions, or would like to know more, please email david.harris.11@xxxxxxxxx or dmwharris@xxxxxxxxxxx

Many Thanks,
David Harris