VOLCANO: AGU 2011 Session: V18 Merging Signals from the Volcanic and Plutonic Realms

From: Shan de Silva <desilvas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Dear colleagues
As you plan for the 2011 Fall AGU meeting, we would like you to consider contributing to the following session

V18: Merging Signals From the Volcanic and Plutonic Realms

Index Terms:

1036 1100 3690 8439

Description: We often integrate datasets from the volcanic and plutonic realms to test the hypothesis that plutons and volcanics are simultaneous products of vertically integrated magmatic systems. However, understanding the correlation of high-resolution, but instantaneous, volcanic record with the longer term, “averaged” plutonic record remains a challenge. Do episodic eruption records correlate to intrusive pulses? Are erupted compositions the residual melt segregated from mush-zones that solidify as plutons? Are geophysical expressions of “magma” in active systems consistent with plutonic/structural records in older terrains? We will explore these questions through contributions that integrate data from the volcanic and plutonic domains.

Sincerely,
Rita Economos,Shan de Silva, and Scott Paterson