VOLCANO: AGU 2011 Session: What are we measuring? Spatial Analysis of Field, Laboratory and Remote Sensing Data

AGU 2011 Session: What are we measuring? Spatial Analysis of Field, Laboratory and Remote Sensing Data
From: "Andrews, Benjamin" <AndrewsB@xxxxxx>

Hello colleagues,

I would like to draw your attention AGU session EP29: What are we measuring? Spatial Analysis of Field, Laboratory and Remote Sensing Data.  This session will discuss different techniques for quantitative analysis of spatial datasets including images, element maps, and x-ray tomography reconstructions.  Many disciplines now collect and utilize large, complex spatial datasets.  Those datasets present challenges both in manipulation and in extracting meaningful quantitative data.  Analysis techniques developed in one discipline likely have application in other fields, e.g. remote sensing techniques can be adapted for petrologic analysis.  We hope for a lively session that brings together researchers from many fields and initiates interactions across disciplines.

Don't forget that the abstract submission deadline is August 4.

EP29: What are we Measuring? Spatial Analysis of Field, Laboratory and Remote Sensing Data
Conveners: Benjamin Andrews and Ryan Ewing

Description: Common digital datasets in the form of images contain valuable data, but quantitative methods of describing, visualizing and using these data are not standardized. Photomicrographs and element maps, human- and outcrop-scale photos, and aerial and satellite imagery present similar analytical needs and challenges. This session promotes a multidisciplinary discussion of methods applicable to micro-, intermediate- and landscape- scale research. We seek submissions using novel methods to describe data including photos, DEMs, thermal imagery, velocity fields, 3d reconstructions and others. Example contributions include particle size and shape, PIV, feature recognition and anisotropy.