VOLCANO: AGU 2011 Session: V44 The potential of using petrological signatures to forecast eruptive processes in andesitic volcanoes

AGU 2011 Session: V44 The potential of using petrological signatures to forecast eruptive processes in andesitic volcanoes
From: Ian Smith <ie.smith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hello,

 We would like to draw your attention to a special session V44 at this fall's AGU meeting, and invite you to consider submitting an abstract to the session. We are interested particularly in hearing of research that links the behaviour of the magmatic system to the eruptive behaviour of its associated volcano. We see this as an important aspect of understanding andesite volcanoes

Session

V44: Using petrological signatures to forecast eruptive processes in andesitic volcanoes

Sponsor: Volcanology, Geochemistry, and Petrology (V)
Co-Sponsor: Natural Hazards (NH).

Conveners:

Ian E.M. Smith,  ie.smith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx University of Auckland

Shane Cronin,   s.j.cronin@xxxxxxxxxxxx Massey University

Richard Price,  rprice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Waikato University

Kimberly Genareau   kig210@xxxxxxxxxx  Lehigh University

Session Description:

The complex petrology of andesitic rocks results from interaction of processes and components from the mantle, through base, middle and upper crust - with even the very uppermost parts of the conduit system inducing major petrological change immediately preceding and during eruptions. Deciphering and recognising the signatures and roles of these over-printing processes is an important step in linking the behaviour of the magmatic system to  eruptions at andesitic volcanes. Recent work on andesite volcanic systems has shown that eruption style and process are heralded by recognisable, key geochemical and mineralogical features. Work toward recognition and quantification of these parameters could add a new tool to developing short- and long-term forecasts of behaviour at hazardous volcanoes.

Note that the AGU abstract deadline has been moved up significantly, and submissions will close on ****4 AUGUST****.  Thanks, and we hope to see you there!